Update on new controller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
All is well with the new controller.

With a little fiddling and plenty of time (between naps) I got the last of the wiring completed.

I ordered the one remaining module needed (One shot 10 amp timer) and it should be here in a week or so, as they build these to order and to spec for each customer.

I am using this unit as a form of latch relay to protect the system from a restart in the event of a power outage.

The one shot timer is normally used with a specific resistor value across the "Resistor terminals" but in this case the terminals will be left open and once the reset switch is pressed the timer will run indefinitely, or until a power outage occurs/stove unplugged.

This type of circuitry is built into many stoves, at least those that require manual lighting.

The folks at infitec were very helpful in my choosing the best product from their line up.

The prices are great too, with the one shot coming in at $46

Their other applicable timers (Suitable for the auger) are similarly priced and the Speed control for the fan was around $24

I am currently scheming on a way to clean the fire pot, as currently we need to use a putty knife twice daily to flip the ash biscuit/clinker out of the pot.

While not a real problem, not having to do this would be nice.

The current thought is to run the Conv/combustion fan at full speed for a short time every so often.

The fire pot is connected via a shunt tube to the air plenum, and receives pressurized air that is regulated by the fan speed/fuel feed.

My thought is that by bypassing the triac and boosting the fan speed to full will allow much of the ash cookie to get heated and blown out of the pot instead of having to do it manually.

A timer similar to the auger timer (Much greater time ranges) could power the fan at full line Voltage for a short period, then allow the unit to resume normal operation.

I am thinking an off time of 1-1/2 hours followed by an on time of from 15 seconds to a minute???? (FAIR adjustment range) to clear the pot.

With some good ranges of adjustment this may work well.

At least worth a try.

If it fails, nooooooooooo biggy.

I have never ran the Prodigy on pellets, so can't say much about how clean the pot stays.

We shall see.

Will be a week or better to get the remaining timer, so in the mean time I sit and scheme.

Currently going over part numbers on original blowers, auger motors and such to formulate a core group of replacement parts to keep on hand.

The new timers can work on both stoves.
The room air blower is the same on both as is the auger motor.

Draft fans are different.

I want a "Worst case scenario" Go Box, that will have the parts needed to fix any break down.

Once the last part is here, the plan is to set the panel up and wire it to a set of test lamps and or whatever to place a load on the controller, and run it for a period of time to shake out any issues.

Snowy

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger72
Very cool and industrious! Good Luck!

Thank you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.