Update on new stove and info/questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhunter3714

Dec 6, 2007
Missouri
Install completed on Feb 3rd. Electric bill has dropped down to $86.00 this month, I'm very happy about that.

Info: I fell an extreemly large tree a little over a year ago. Measured out at 371/4" across. Cut it all up and split some of it to burn. This wood is very, very dence, hard to split and hard to start. But once its started it will get my stove up tp 500 degrees in about 30 min or so. Come to find out from the DNR here in Missouri the tree is a Blackjack oak. Most people around here hate this tree. I love it. I also have a cord of Red and White oak I burn. The Oak starts very easy but after 1 hour the stove is only at 300 degrees, what gives. Anyone know why this is. Both the Oaks have been seasoned close to 10 months.

Also wondering about this thing called Strike-a-fire. Looks like a large match stick. Is this ok to use inplace of paper?

I would like to thank everyone on this site who feed me so much information which allowed me to do this installation.

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj115/bowhunter3714/

Thanks for the pics. Can't help on your question about the oak - not a species I'm familiar with. But most everyone says if it's free it's good.

That oak ain't dry enough.
Oak burns hot, if not, let it dry longer.

Oak is notorious for taking 2 years to dry out.

Status
Not open for further replies.