Update on NSPS EPA regulation for wood burning. What it means to you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreBug

Minister of Fire
Oct 6, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
Hello everyone, in case anyone was wondering NSPS (stands for “New Source Performance Standardâ€) also known as the “EPA Wood Stove Certification Program†review is coming to a close. It was first promulgated in 1988 and has not been revised since that time.

Therefore the EPA had a mandate to update its standards. Currently a "EPA cerified stove" was one that would release less than 7.6 grams per hour of particulate matters. EPA’s new goals is to Lower emissions limits based on current “Best Demonstrated Technology†(BDT). They also want to regulate previously exempted appliances. Those include: Central systems (furnaces and boilers) – wood and pellet; Pellet stoves/inserts; Coal stoves/inserts; Decorative wood fireplaces

What will the new standard be? For wood stoves and inserts, the new limit will be 4.5g/h or lower. Same for pellet stoves & inserts. For central systems, EPA will likely use a measure of emissions that takes into consideration the heat output, such as g/MJ or g/MBtu. For decorative wood fireplaces, EPA will probably adopt the current EPA Low Mass Voluntary Program, with emissions at the phase II level (5.1 g/kg). Coal stoves: not determined if any.

Timing is expected as follows: Proposed NSPS Revision: Summer 2011. NSPS Promulgation: September 2012. Compliance at Washington State level (wood/pellet stoves): Could be 60 days after promulgation (so Fall 2012 at the earliest). Retailers will be given at least one year (possibly two) to clear inventory.

To a certain extent, this is good news for everyone. Cleaner air for all of us. Also most manufacturers should be able to meet new emission standards and deadlines.

If you are in the industry, join HPBA as it give you a voice in the industry. For the rest of us HPBA is chock full of information on the subject.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Will be interesting to see what steps the mfr's take to improve the breed.

Warm in RI said:
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Will be interesting to see what steps the mfr's take to improve the breed.

Hopefully, we should see more innovative technology to get to 4.5 or below soon. Although with the current technology it is attainable.

Will there still be "exempted" models available or will all stoves have to comply?

Stephen in SoKY said:
Will there still be "exempted" models available or will all stoves have to comply?

Apparently not! the goal is to do away with the exempt status.

I'd guess a lot of stoves are already below that. Lopi lists my Endeavors emissions at 1.9 Grams Per Hour on their site. This is if I'm looking at the right thing! :lol:

The manufacturers that will be hit hard are those that manufacturer furnaces. I'm happy to see this. For years woodfurnaces have had a bad name and finally things are changing. I've heard other manufacturers badmouthing the EPA but I think that's due to change. I'm sure a woodfurnace with a firebox in excess of 6 cu ft will have problems burning within specs. It's going to cost alot of money for engineering, testing, etc. Changes for the good!

rdust said:
I'd guess a lot of stoves are already below that. Lopi lists my Endeavors emissions at 1.9 Grams Per Hour on their site. This is if I'm looking at the right thing! :lol:

Same here, 1.9 grams per hour.. :)

rdust said:

Indeed! Currently a lot of models on the market are below Washington State Standards (4.5g / Hr). Certifying stoves is partly science, art & alchemy! A recent study found that the same stove sent to many certifying labs had a variance of 4g/Hr! These labs were not fudging but so many variable influence the results that even following the protocols to the letter had that wide of a margin.

laynes69 said:
The manufacturers that will be hit hard are those that manufacturer furnaces. I'm happy to see this. For years woodfurnaces have had a bad name and finally things are changing. I've heard other manufacturers badmouthing the EPA but I think that's due to change. I'm sure a woodfurnace with a firebox in excess of 6 cu ft will have problems burning within specs. It's going to cost alot of money for engineering, testing, etc. Changes for the good!

Actually it's the reverse. Now the furnace mfg have a reasonable baseline to work with. Previously a large firebox had no chance of meeting 7.6g/hr. Now with the new regulation, furnaces will be rated in grams per energy released (grams per megajoule). In Canada the regulation for this is called CSA B415 and I believe (i'll have to double check) its about 4 grams per megajoule (or 9,000 BTU).

It doesn't mean it easy to pass but at least it's no longer impossible.

Ah, but what about the OWB situation? Those are the worst offenders.

Backwoods Savage said:

Good point! I'll find out. Although I think the main culprit there is the users. Give a farmer an outside combustion chamber the size of a small apartment and it's too tempting to stop them shoving entire green trees, tires, railway ties, garbage and the recently deceased mother-in-law. :)

Well. our Avalon 1190 is rated at 2.6 Grams Per Hour (EPA Phase II Approved) – Tests conducted by E.E.S.P.C.

Robert

Whoops the Mag is 5.7g/h. Be interesting to see what happens to the stoves that currently don't meet.

Backwoods Savage said:
They are their own demise. Too many people use them for incinerates or stuff whatever in them. Mix that with a pissed off neighbor and regulation here we come.

I'm surprised they aren't going lower since most manufactures are already under.

FyreBug said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Good point! I'll find out. Although I think the main culprit there is the users. Give a farmer an outside combustion chamber the size of a small apartment and it's too tempting to stop them shoving entire green trees, tires, railway ties, garbage and the recently deceased mother-in-law. :)

Heyyy easy on the farmers there ... unless that is you dont eat anything that you dont grow.... were not all uneducated hicks who dont care about the enviroment. actually our lively hood depends on it.. sorry for ranting but as a farmer in the US i feel like we are always being attacked from all fronts. believe me its tough enough making a living doing this

phatfarmerbob said:
FyreBug said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Heyyy easy on the farmers there ... unless that is you dont eat anything that you dont grow.... were not all uneducated hicks who dont care about the enviroment. actually our lively hood depends on it.. sorry for ranting but as a farmer in the US i feel like we are always being attacked from all fronts. believe me its tough enough making a living doing this

Well... it was tongue in cheek :) as a boy raised on a farm and now living in a city it is still in my blood. Miss it dearly. But, I drive around the country side enough to see some nasty smoke signals from the OWB out there.

I just found out the OWB will be part of the NSPS review. What lead time EPA gives to mfg is to be seen but it is in their cross-hair.

Todd said:
I'm surprised they aren't going lower since most manufactures are already under.

They wanted to go lower, but it may have killed wood burning entirely. The deadlines are too tight, the certifying labs are backed up as it is and not every mfg out there can afford to re-design every combustion chamber they have (cost of designing, testing etc.. is approx $300K per unit). It would have meant about 3 or 4 mfg left standing with and average cost of wood stove jumping by at least an extra $1,000. Ultimately, the consumers would not buy them and all the old smoke dragons would remain out there for years to come. Way to cut off the nose to spite the face!

Also, as stated in a post above EPA might not be able to go lower. There is a variance of 4 g/Hr from one certifying lab to another. It means one lab can certify a stove at 2 g/Hr and the very same stove at another lab would fail at 6 g/Hr. There is a law of engineering that state you cannot baseline below the variance and were close to that.

Effectively, in 'real life' wood burning is not 'lab' burning. There is not a big difference between 4.5 g/hr to 2 g/hr that will make a difference in the environment. A 2 g/hr stove in the hands of a bad user can mean 60 g/hr in real life! It would be better spending the money educating the public in proper wood burning techniques and launch a 'cash for clunker' program to get rid of some of the old smoke dragons out there.

phatfarmerbob said:
FyreBug said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I don't think you should take it personal, if you are doing the right thing. I am sure you KNOW farmers who aren't...

Two OWB's in my neck of the woods that I pass daily, one is in fact on a farm, one isn't (maybe he considers it a hobby farm) I have SEEN bags of trash and cut up tires going into one of them. And I have seen what I am sure where railroad tie pieces and construction trash stacked very close to the other.

wkpoor said:
Backwoods Savage said:
They are their own demise. Too many people use them for incinerates or stuff whatever in them. Mix that with a pissed off neighbor and regulation here we come.

Towns here in Connecticut have been banning OWBs left and right and now there is legislation at the state level to do the same. The classic examples that are thrown out in the media are those described above.

Woodstock claims the Fireview at 1.3gph.

FyreBug said:
It would be better spending the money educating the public in proper wood burning techniques and launch a 'cash for clunker' program to get rid of some of the old smoke dragons out there.

Oregon now requires removal of uncertified stoves when a house is sold. Lots of complaining of course, but it makes sense to me. Resale of uncertified stoves has been banned for years. (It hasn't slowed their sales on Craigslist, though...)

We're under another "Air Stagnation Advisory" right now. No burn bans like WA, but a gentle request to not burn unless it's your only heat source. They also suggest in the announcement to burn hot and use dry wood.

So currently my woodfurnace is rated around 7g per hour. What you are saying is a 90,000 btu furnace can put out 40g and be within spec? If I'm reading that right, that's quite a difference. Maybe it's difficult, but they should be as efficient as others. I have seen a few furnaces putting out between 1 and 4.5 gph according to the tests. Blaze king, napoleon, and Kuuma are a few. I guess anyway it's looked at, if it meets EPA certification it's been proven for it's abilities and not just a sales claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.