Update on Quad Adventure 2 Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jutlin

Dec 2, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon
Hey folks,
So first, thanks for providing a place where people can discuss and learn about stoves. As a relative newby, this forum has been very helpful (although this is the first time I'm posting).

So I recently posted the review of the Quadrafire Adventure 2, and in my review I noted that I've had it for a year but have not yet had a sweep so I couldn't tell you how it's burning. I purchased it last October, and I live in Oregon so I use it about 4 months out of the year (November through late February/Mid-March). I tend to burn Doug Fir, and last year that's all I had for burning. I tend to try and keep the fire burning, but last year I was not as efficient as I believe I've become so I maybe re-lit the fire once a day.

I just had my sweep come this week, and he said it appears to burning very efficiently and noted that there was very little, if any, creosote buildup. He actually geeked out on the stove a bit and was really impressed. I should note I also recently called the fire department because I had some sparks and smoke blowback. They all geeked out on the stove as well. There was no chimney fire, it was just a very windy day (but you never know, so, I felt better safe than sorry).

So this year I had a great wood delivery of some really well cut and aged White Ash and Doug Fir mix. With the Ash, the stove has been super efficient. It gets the house up to 75 easily, and then holds that temp really well for extended periods (2150 sq. ft. house). I'm finding that most of my burns on a single, full load, have been about 12-18 hours if I rake up the coals to the front every now and then, and I haven't re-lit the fire since the sweep came several days ago. At this rate I'm loading twice a day - once at about 630 am and then another time around 7 or 8 pm, full loads. My wife may throw in a log or two during the day because she's more nervous about the embers going out but, I think it's not necessary to be honest.

So, overall, it's a great stove. It replaced what appears to have been a 1979 classic, big metal door with big metal knob vents (and I'm forgetting the name, sorry). That stove literally heated up all of the walls around the stove and was extremely inefficient. This stove is very good at focusing the heat energy into the fan, making the house warm up very quickly. But as the firemen noted when they came to the house (they had an infrared camera), every thing around the stove was relatively cool. It was one of the reasons they geeked out on it.

The thermostat works very well, it really is a set it and forget it type stove. Fill it up, press the button, walk away. The stove has a set of batteries for when the power goes out, and it's easy to go manual if the electric panel goes on the fritz (although it's never malfunctioned so far). It also has a good warranty.

That's the update. Cheers!

Thanks for the nice review. I've been curious about how this stove performs in real world use. Sounds like it's doing well. Your burn cycle is similar to ours. The sparks and smoke might have been from a puffback. This can happen if the air is cut back too early and the fire begins to smolder, then reignites.

Do you have a picture of the stove in operation? We love to see fire.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thanks Begreen, here's a photo of the re-load after a 17 hour burn:

thumbnail_IMG_0792.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wes1222 and begreen
Ever had an issue of overfiring and not being able to turn it off. I have the same stove. pushed the smart burn and it kept going temp on stove top was 600. dang near burned through whole box of wood. had to disconnect the motor to close the air inlet to cool her down.

I have the Adventure 3 and it gets up to 600 or so on top after loading every time. It puts out tremendous heat during the first hour or two regardless of thermostat setting. I believe this is due to the burn zone settings in the stove set to meet emissions standards, which overrides the thermostat. I like the stove, but you can't control room temperature with it. It has large temperature swings.

So this year I had a great wood delivery of some really well cut and aged White Ash and Doug Fir mix. With the Ash, the stove has been super efficient.
I've been wondering how the Doug Fir compares to White Ash. I've seen BTU ratings indicating that they may be pretty close...
The thermostat works very well, it really is a set it and forget it type stove....it's easy to go manual
I like that...
Can you load both ways? What is the log length each way?

Looks like in the video that the Explorer has a nice, big ash dump opening. I didn't see that in the Adventure vid, however...