Update On The Chusky Chinese Chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
And today on Days of Our Saws...

Latest update on the Chusky saw. The new clutch, for twelve bucks shipping included, got here quick but I haven't had time to cut much the last week or so. So yesterday I put'er back to work. Three and a half cords under its belt so far. Thirty minutes into whacking white oak rounds the chain broke.

I have been doing this stuff since 1976 and have thrown a lot of chains but this is the first one that just flat broke. Fortunately I was pretty deep in the cut so the round played "chain catcher" instead of my arm or hand.

Reactions: BJ64
Yikes. That was the chinese chain?

I pinched one once and broke it, but it was pinched in place. Got the saw out, but not the chain.

Chain appears to be a Carlton K2. I have always liked Carlton chain. This one, not so much. A rivet sheared.

The adventure continues.

In Australia they sell these Chinese chainsaws legally and I know people that have bought and run them there. Generally the feeling there is that they run them until they break, then the get another one and run that until it breaks, etc. etc. The chain was likely a second quality one, or one built in China (like the new Forester stuff that is all made in China, and now crap). Carlton and Windsor are the same chain now, and I have had really good luck with them. I only use mostly them and Stihl chains, and a few from Oregon.

Me, I will stick with my Stihl saws that I believe are actually worth the money.

Reactions: raybonz
This one was purchased out of curiosity. And the fact that I had four to five cords to cut this year and I am hanging up my spurs. Needed a light saw for the job and wanted to find out the truth about the Chinese saws. Went in with no illusions. And delivered to my door for $94 total it has been worth it already. Instead of buying a chain I may just get another one just like it and merge the two as things break. Pretty much what I have done with the two Husky 142s that I bought new a few years ago. And just as much has busted on them as has on the Chusky.

Reactions: BJ64
Never had a chain break yet but have caught a few before it was about to happen. Always was where it was put together at a dealer. Which is a good reason why I make my own chains up.

That kind of thing scares the S*&T right outta me.
I have a cousin in law who was almost killed when he had a chain break on him. it split his jaw right in half. He almost bled to death before he made it to the ER.
be careful Bart!
I enjoy your comments and input to much.
chuck

Thanks for the updates...this supports my way of thinking - you get what you pay for, especially with heavy equipment/tools. Glad you can get all of the parts cheap...but safety and reliability certainly carry's a price that should be factored into this IMO.

Reactions: Thistle
I was kinda fearing that BB was going to have zero issues with this saw and we all would look silly for spending small fortunes on our equipment. Glad to hear that parts are cheap and most importantly that the failures have not resulted in injury.

Reactions: Realstone
Thanks for the updates...this supports my way of thinking - you get what you pay for, especially with heavy equipment/tools. Glad you can get all of the parts cheap...but safety and reliability certainly carry's a price that should be factored into this IMO.

Was there any doubt?

Actually no matter what you buy it will eventually need maintenance. Lots of OPE gone through here last few weeks and it has all been name brand quality stuff. Nothing is immune to failure.

Actually no matter what you buy it will eventually need maintenance. Lots of OPE gone through here last few weeks and it has all been name brand quality stuff. Nothing is immune to failure.

But some things can be a lot more prone to random failures. Why increase the odds when life and limb is at risk?

Reactions: raybonz
While I may not bee too hip on the Chinese made saw, it does add another option to the market.

I'm adding saw chains to my non-Chinese list along with anything to be ingested and car tires.

I had some dealings with chinese manufacturers when in the plastics industry and the general rule is cost first , specs second.

ie This chain is going to sell for $10, we need to make it for $5 and we'll do what we have to to get there. If specifications for the steel used are a problem they will change them, if tolerances raise the cost of parts they'll deal with that the same way. When they hit the price point the buyer for the mass market retailer in the US will order a million of them.

If you look closely you'll see that the products are designed to look sexy and sell at a certain price point, not for durability or repairability.

I inherited a "Speedway" compressor that fell over in my trunk breaking a 2cent pot metal manifold that sent the whole thing to the landfill

Yeah, I threw my iPhone in the trash after finding it was made in China...cheap piece of junk.

Yeah, I threw my iPhone in the trash after finding it was made in China...cheap piece of junk.

OEM iPhone vs "cheap Chinese knock off product" is apples and oranges. Now if you were to use a cheap "knock off" iPhone, you might have a point. :)

Agreed - nothing lasts forever, but higher quality product typically will run longer between failure.

Not trying to defend China here...but they are perfectly capable of manufacturing high quality goods. The problem is we don't want to pay for it...so they tend to use inferior materials (junk) and looser specs (poor quality) to make a product which can be sold at a more attractive price point (dirt cheap). Not China's fault...they are just doing what they are told by some of us consumers.

Not trying to defend China here...but they are perfectly capable of manufacturing high quality goods. The problem is we don't want to pay for it...so they tend to use inferior materials (junk) and looser specs (poor quality) to make a product which can be sold at a more attractive price point (dirt cheap). Not China's fault...they are just doing what they are told by some of us consumers.

Vote with your wallet. I have plenty of stuff that says "Made In China" on it that is perfectly acceptable quality or even superior. See a lot of "Made In The USA" power equipment that is vastly inferior to brands that get knocked for selling out America.

Reactions: Realstone
Vote with your wallet. I have plenty of stuff that says "Made In China" on it that is perfectly acceptable quality or even superior. See a lot of "Made In The USA" power equipment that is vastly inferior to brands that get knocked for selling out America.

I agree completely. Race and nationality have nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.