Update on the donor program

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

A little history about the recipient of the new VC Encore. He is a retired plumber that I personally know. About a year or so back, he woke up with severe leg cramps, which turned out to be artery blockage and required major surgery. After the operations, he faced a long recovery and was confined to his home. Mostly laying down. This occurred during January. His wife not having the best health, hobbles around with bad knees and hips. Every day after work, myself and some other of his closest friends, would visit him.
Our first task was a trip out to the wood pile and load up the wheelbarrel and park it next to the door. Usually I would load his old VC Encore stove. As I loaded it ,I noticed its condition, noting that it required a total rebuild and that the Cat combustor. was the original. I also noticed a cracked inner. plate, which I sealed with refractory cement and did the best I could re-cauking as many seams as I could. I knew it was a stop gap measure ,but did improve its performance.
Originally, he was to be the first recipient last year. All systems were go even tremendous, media coverage. The deal fell apart because he did not want the media
exposure. I talked to VC and explained this and asked if they would still be willing to donate a stove.
The way the existing stove is setup there is only one stove made that will match the flue outlet height into the existing chimney block chimney, He has an Encore with the 8” connector pipe. Today’s Encores are an identical height match.
This September he asked me if there was anyway I could help him out with his stove situation, without a lot of to do about it? I told him yes and that very little outside help would be required. Folks, there is not going be an installation. party. Ideally I hope that one of two forum members assists me with installation and that it be fully recorded and documented on the forum. A few members have expressed the willingness to lend a hand.
I feel it is important to establish the program in able to attract more support.
I am also presenting this arrangement to the forum member for feedback or constructive suggestions. At this point nothing is etched in stone

Elk It's sounds good but...... When we helped turner and Burner (Dan) the documentation kinda fell through because we all were doing somthing and didn't have much time to grab a camera and record the various steps involved.
Therefore it would be good to have probably 3 for the install and 1 or 2 for the documentation (the second as a censor for the F-Bombs that can be dropped) ;-)
Just a sugestion.......... let me know if you need any help, I'll donate a harness to the cause if needed.

Hi Elk,

I live in Foxboro and if you need a hand moving a stove or something like that I would certainly give you a hand.
email me if you like and I will give you my # or Earthharvester can always get in touch with me as well.
I have a truck also.

Craig

Elk,

The program sounds just great. What a wonderful thing you and others are doing. On the other thread started by Corie there were hints at a national non-profit being organized. Harley must be a lawyer by trade, and certainly donating his time also deserves high praise. I personally like the idea of the national non-profit, and then having chapters per state. I'd love to get together with some of the folks here in WA and lend a hand to start a program here in this state. I'm sure others in various states would also express interest if there were a way to have a national program. Perhaps in WA state Country stoves would be willing to get involved since they are local. It would be worthwhile to explore.

As far as the media exposure is concerned, it will be a must at some level. Certainly there are those who will not want to be identified, but I'm sure others would be willing to accept the exposure for a new wood stove. Exposure is what I feel the manufacturers involved will be looking for, and thus, will be good advertising for them in return for their generosity. Maybe the forum could come up with a list of manufacturers to contact. I'll be happy to send a letter to Country stoves. Beyond manufacturers, there also may be some retailers willing to donate items as well. My 2 cents.

-Kevin

The Katrina effect was helpfull to getting decent used stoves last year. Many people replaced their wood burner with pellet stoves and gave away that stove just to get it out of there. Then word spread and I was receiving call in the inspection the offic,e offering stoves
At that point I eased backward. In total I gave away 4 last year

Status
Not open for further replies.