update on "were pellets ever round" thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfarm

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2012
wisconsin
I ran into my friend yesterday and asked him more about the pellet stove he used to have and the pellets.

He said they were not round, but long and yes they did come in a large cardboard barrel.

He paid $10 for 400 pounds. He had to go to Appleton WI to pick them up.

He also said they were compressed paper pellets and not wood pellets and heated his house with them for 7 years until his stove broke and was unrepairable.

I wonder if today's pellet stoves could handle burning paper pellets instead of wood and what effect that might have on the stove and/or venting.

I looked online and there is a company called Pellet America that still makes these.

A pellet can be made out of almost any Bio-mass. Its a matter of whether it will burn, is the stove equipped with the needed tools to burn them (more air,.less air, agitator?), and can it handle the ash amount?

Just a small jump from the 1% ash your used to, to a 3%-4% means 3-4 times as much in the same time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.