Update on wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Most of you will remember a thread where there were many guesses on how much wood I cut this past winter: Old post

There were many guesses as to how much wood was there. Some were close and some were a bit off. To be honest, there was more than I though and I think rdust can verify that my guess was 4.5 cords. Today I finally finished the stacking and all that is left is to clean up a few oddball pieces that are laying by the stacks. They are odd sizes and some from one log that I simply cut too long.

We had many who ventured a guess.

The lowest guess was either mhvond at 2.5 cords or quads with 9 jeep loads.
The highest guess was zap with 7 cords.

My guess was 4.5 cords. Here are some others:

Smokinjay 4.75
Got-Wood 3.5
hoosierhick 6.5
savageactor 4
Mainstation 5 to 5.5
Cluttermagnet 4-5
Spikem 6.25
Jags 4.33
KYrob 6 cords plus 3 pieces
BeGreen 3
Rich L 3.5

Here is one picture before stacking.
Woodsplit2010c.gif

Here are a couple more pictures after stacking.
Wood-2010b.gif

Wood-2010c.gif

So after stacking I headed to the house for the camera. Then I put the tape measure to the stacks and here is what I got: 5.75 cord total plus those extra pieces (special for KYrob).

so mainstation and KYrob gave the closest guesses. I was off by more than a cord! I could hardly believe I was off that much. Must have been a bad winter. lol

That's great! My guess of 9 Jeep pickup loads was a little low (3 cord).

Wow That is some stacking you got going on there, very impressive as always!

Nice pictures Sav and great stacking, oh by the way thanks for the 1.25 cord of wood you sent.

Zap

Good Job Dennis! What are the dimensions on the stacks? I need to start stacking tighter to reduce my foot print.

rdust said:
Good Job Dennis! What are the dimensions on the stacks? I need to start stacking tighter to reduce my foot print.

The stacks are 9' long and 4.5' high. Most are stacked 3 rows together but one of them is only 2 rows stacked together.

patch53 said:
Nice stacks indeed, what kind of wood is that?

99% is white ash. There was one very small dead elm and maybe 1 small soft maple.

Thanks everyone for the comments. It was hard work for me this year but I got it done!

Backwoods Savage said:
patch53 said:
Nice stacks indeed, what kind of wood is that?

99% is white ash. There was one very small dead elm and maybe 1 small soft maple.

Thanks everyone for the comments. It was hard work for me this year but I got it done!

Vertical or Horizontal?

Zap

I dunno... those cribbed ends look kinda sparse. Some of that 5.75 cord is air.

Dennis,

Did you happen to record the dimensions of that pile before you stacked it? I am curious if anyone has developed a good formula that we could test for converting cubic feet of a cone-shaped wood pile to cubic feet of stacked wood?

It might be fairly easy to develop a formula, but to be precise we may need you to unstack that wood into a huge heap again...lol

Those are some of the finest stacks of firewood I've ever seen. My stacks are kinda like trying to build a house of cards. You keep adding to it hoping it doesn't fall down til you get to scared to add any more.

Rob

Cool Dennis

I didn't even try to guess. Even at work the boss ask how much dirt I need to do something and I always tell him to keep hauling and I will call when I have all I need!

Billy

Zap, its vertizontal.

LLigetfa, yes, some of the ends are not filled yet. I usually try to fill most of them with kindling if possible. So yes, there is a bit less but the last stack, which doesn't show up well in the pictures is not a full row so I measured that a bit light.

CJRages, no, I didn't. But that is a good idea and if I can remember, I'll do just that next year. I will say that my initial guess was 4.5 cords and that was before it was split so I was way off on that guess this year.

KYrob, just keep at it and your stacks will get better every year. Like I had stated, this certainly was not my best stacking job and I almost didn't take pictures just because of it. But they should be solid enough to stay upright for a few years anyway. I guess my hurting body really showed up in that stacking job this year. But, I got it done anyway and am glad it is done too.

Status
Not open for further replies.