**UPDATE** Pellets not sliding well in hopper - My fix w/pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm experiencing a similar hopper feed issue with my Englander 25-PDVC. I thought of trying PAM or similar cooking spray on the insides of the hopper. Has anyone tried this? I know it works great to make wiping bugs off your car hood/bumper easier in summer. Might give off an interesting smell too as the pellets burn...mmmmmm, what's cookin'?.....

Shortstuff:
I painstakingly used aluminum tape to tape the seams, rivets, and key surfaces of my Lennox PI-40 stove and even rubbed waxed paper to decrease the coefficient of friction throughout the hopper. Unfortunately, my efforts were not successful as the pellets still hang up. I may need to pursue a more proactive approach to solve the pellet hanging issue. More to follow…

VR

deuce

I don't think I'd use PAM, as the oily residue will cause the pellet dust to stick IMO.

I use the aluminum tape over the rivets, but on the sheet metal I use 000 steel wool, and then Pledge or Behold spray furniture polish.....smooth and slippery...works well for me.

When mine stick, I find it is only a cup of pellets or 2. I would think for most of the time you would have filled up the hopper again before it gets that close to empty. I have never had my stove go out because of it.

woodsman23 said:
One would think that the people that make the stoves would take into account that the dam pellets need to advance to the auger. Why would this happen? Bad engineering,mmmm..

You'd also think they'd design a hopper that could tell you when your pellets were low and could hold 2 bags..not 1 3/4..IMO..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.