Update: The big red oak...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jason1238

Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2006
Mason, OH
Hey all,

I posted a thread asking for advice on bucking/dismantling a large red oak tree and got lots of good advice from you folks. Just thought I'd share some pics...

(original thread) https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6608/

My help got hijacked into working on Saturday, so I went at this monster alone. It was the best upper body workout I've done in YEARS! I only got about half of the main stem bucked, 'cause I grounded both my chains :red: . It was getting dark anyway and the rain was moving in, so it was a good place to stop. The chains are sharp again, and I can't wait to get back at it this weekend...hopefully the weather will hold!

Jason

Attachments

• 0224071554.jpg
    0224071554.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 390
  • 0224071555.jpg
    0224071555.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 389
  • 0224071555a.jpg
    0224071555a.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 364
...more pics...

Attachments

• 0224071555b.jpg
    0224071555b.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 0224071555c.jpg
    0224071555c.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 353
Hard to see how you could avoid grounding the chains, given the size of the tree. To add to previous suggestions, you could try to dig it out at each cut, or if the soil is loose enough use a hose to clear a gully under the log at each cut. Or cut as close to the ground as you dare, then stick a wedge in the cut and sledge it to finish the job.

Man, thats some good burning right there.

Let us know how many cord in that tree. I cut one down last Winter that was just over an honest cord. I put a tape to the pile out of curiosity, my neighbor didnt think it would be more than 3/4 cord :)

Holy smokes, that tree must be 300-400 years old. That old gem will keep you warm, no doubt. You will definately get a work out swinging that maul.
Good luck.

Disco--yeah, I was cutting down then sledgin' and wedgin' on the big end at first. Took about 2hrs to get three chunks off it (the size of the one that the tools are on). I think I just got a little more brave with the saw and kept cutting farther and farther down until one time it threw dirt back out at me. :shut: That was the first chain. The second took a little longer to toast, but it happened the same way. Digging under it isn't really an option, as this thing is laying in the guy's neighbor's yard, and the neighbor is already a bit upset that the tree has been there for almost two months. There ain't no rolling this one over!!! I'll just keep goin' at it until I get it down to manageable sized chunks I can cart out...

babalu--I'm putting my money on 2 cords...one from the stem, and another in the piles of limbs stacked around. We'll see! I'll keep you updated.

dego-- I have no idea how old it is. Is it true you can count the rings and estimate 1yr per ring? And yeah, it's one hell of a workout. I've still gotta' bust up the BEEEG pieces to lift them into my cart. They're prolly about 350-400lbs each whole!

Question: How do you eat an elephant?
Answer: One bite at a time...

Makes my back hurt just to look at the pics. Good job.

I have one like that blown down, wanna see a huge root ball, just past the edge of my yard. I have been staring at it for a year saying "Yeah, any day now I will start on it.".

Believe it or not you will get to where you can ease the saw down into if just far enough to sever it without wrecking the chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.