UPDATE Whitfield Advantage Plus Glass and Door Gasket Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Always something

Hearth Supporter
Dec 16, 2009
East Coast Mid Atlantic
For those who want to know; I clipped the gasket from the top of the of the glass gasket as suggested below. The stove glass does stay cleaner longer, but it is not the answer.

The reason I know this is that BEFORE I replaced the glass gasket, and door gasket my stove glass stayed clean for days without a cleaning needed even when I burned on two (stove settings are 1 - 5)!!!! I know; I know - if it's not broke. . . . :-( BUT I thought it would be better if I used the manufacturer's parts. . . WRONG!

So my quest for clean glass goes on; I will update as I KNOW many curious minds want to know how to fix this!

I will not rest until I figure this out. . .. . . thanks for listening.

Happy holidays to all!

== question unanswered please = =

As for the side and bottom metal brackets, do they need cushion, or can the metal be right up against the glass? is it standard to have metal against glass?

Do you have an inside door picture?

== end of new note = =

I have a Whitfield Advantage Plus Insert Pellet stove; it has one piece of glass in the door. I just put in a new glass gasket, but I'm not sure if I installed it correctly.

The prior gasket was only a "U" shaped down the two sides and bottom - nothing on the top, and the glass was cracked, so I'm not sure if that was correct.

I got a new piece of glass and put the glass gasket around the entire glass, and I put little pieces of gasket between the brackets on the sides and bottom. My thinking was that the metal and glass should not touch. On the top of the pellet stove door there are two pieces of hardware. Not sure why since the glass gasket blocks the air.

If pictures would help I can send. AND, if you have pictures of a properly configured door, I'd love to see it!

Also, I replaced the door gasket, and the hinge side does not touch; now that I'm writing - perhaps that is why the glass was cracked. . . could the door have gotten out of line?

I ordered both gaskets from the manufacture.

Thanks for any help on this matter. Oh - the stove does burn fine. I gave it a major cleaning this summer, and it burns a lot less pellets so far this year; well worth the time. . . .

If the glass had only 3 sides with gasket, you should redo it the same way. There is a reason for that gap. This was my experience. I'm sure someone here will give you more detail on this.

There is no gasket on top of the glass, This lets air in to keep the glass clean. Air come in and washes the glass. If you run your stove on low you could see it work, It works better on higher heat settings. Check the manual it will tell you how to keep this area clean and air flowing correctly.

Okay, I'll remove the gasket from the top; thank you.

As for the side and bottom metal brackets, do they need cushion, or can the metal be right up against the glass? is it standard to have metal against glass?

Do you have an inside door picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.