Update ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
UPDATE from my wet wood saga ..... I went to my neighbor today and picked up a ridiculous amount of FREE split DRY wood that he isn't using (moved in last year and previous owner left wood). Started up the Jotul and went through three splits tonight with a nice fire which I kept at a constant 450*-500*which brought the house to a comfortable 72*-73*. The smokiness is gone and I guess I'll have to leave the cord I bought this year until next when it fully seasons. Thank G-D for good neighbors who don't appreciate what they have!!!

Sweet! How much is ridiculous?

When I bought my former home and put in a stove I didn't have any wood and in the area the only way to buy wood was green logs. I was fortunate to get 3 free cords of 2 year seasoned ash from an acquaintance that after a chimney fire, the fire marshal condemned his install so he quit burning wood. I rented a big truck to move it and he even helped us load it.

I got about a cord and a half of mixed hardwoods that were about 4-5 years old

Nice When I moved in to my house here there was about a half cord under the deck...I moved it to the back of the yard asap...but none the less glad to have it..glad to hear it worked out for you!

That's great. Give your neighbors a nice bottle of wine (or something else if they are teatotalers.) Good deeds deserve good rewards.

I second what BeGreen posted.

Yaron2, now you probably understand why I always advise people to look for their wood before looking at a new stove. Wood needs time vs. oil or gas that is instant.

So the moral of this story is that everyone should have neighbors who either have seasoned wood but don't use it or a neighbor who has no clue of what he's doing so that when he has a chimney fire and can no longer burn wood you can get his wood. ;) Just kidding of course . . . glad to hear things are working out . . . of course 1 1/2 cord will only last for so long.

Make sure that the unseasoned wood is stacked off the ground on sleepers or palettes and cover the top of the pile, but leave the sides open. This will help it dry out.

It would be worth trying the wood again in a couple months. By then it may have dried out enough to be burnable.

Status
Not open for further replies.