UPDATED 2/26 NEW PICTURES FROM THE STORM! Need your input on second burners before this Snow Storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighting Up

Feeling the Heat
Jan 30, 2010
Roc City NY
I have a brand new Avalon Pentalton insert stove for about a week now, I've been breaking it in. I had hotter fires, 350-450 (Rutland Temp gauge) but I don't see where the second burners have kick in. My wood is 2 years old very well seasoned very dry. The air flow is great but no matter were I have the air control setting either off, open a crack, half way or full I don't see where the seconds have kicked in. Getting a lot of blue flames on the wood but not seeing the second burners lighting up that you hear about. With a Foot of snow coming tomorrow I'm going to need the extra kick...thanks for your help.

Hey I looked at the online manual and couldn't find any recommended burn temps...

Are you sure you are burning that puppy hot enough? The manual says it's an appliance built to take extreme hot temps....whatever that means....then it goes on to say if the appliance is turning red you are overfiring it....DUH!!!

The troubleshooting guide points to unseasoned and/or wet wood as a possible culprit.

Do you have a moisture meter? Have you actually tested your wood?

And is you chimney built to manual spec?

If all this stuff is ok, then you gotta load that puppy up and run it hotter!

Thanks... I don't have a moisture meter but the woods been in the garage and really fires up good no smoke on the door glass so I think the wood is ok. I have not loaded it up and I came close to 500 degrees on one fire. Thanks for your help... I will try right now because the fire needs wood now, to get a hotter fire and see. I didn't know if there was a temperature you needed to get the second burn to kick in.
mike

Also the chiminy is up to spec new liner 6 inch.

I found this thread looking around a bit....

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49667/

My guess is you ain't runnin that little beast hot enough, I looked at the manual again. I'd say if you have a rutland thermometer on the front of that insert and run that up to 550 degrees for starters, then back the air down as per the manual, see what happens then. Don't back that air down the whole way, leave it open a little bit til ya get used to how the insert operates.

Let me know how you make out, I'm interested :)

ansehnlich1 said:
I found this thread looking around a bit....

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49667/

My guess is you ain't running that little beast hot enough, I looked at the manual again. I'd say if you have a rutland thermometer on the front of that insert and run that up to 550 degrees for starters, then back the air down as per the manual, see what happens then. Don't back that air down the whole way, leave it open a little bit til ya get used to how the insert operates.

Let me know how you make out, I'm interested :)

Ansehnlich1...you were right, I loaded it up the temp was 500 degrees and the second burners kicked in...then I closed the air a little and lost it...dam. thanks alot for your help and time, I guess I wasn't running it hot enough.
mike

Could be needing a bit more draft. Is there a liner connected to the stove? How tall is the flue?

Lighting Up said:
Ansehnlich1...you were right, I loaded it up the temp was 500 degrees and the second burners kicked in...then I closed the air a little and lost it...dam. thanks alot for your help and time, I guess I wasn't running it hot enough.
mike

Yeah try running it up to that hot temp, 500+ and then back the air down to half way for 5 or 10 minutes then turn it down lower.....see what that does.

Experiment with it a bit and hopefully you'll learn how she's going to run for ya.

As mentioned, it could be that you have a sluggish draft too.

Lighting Up said:
I have a brand new Avalon Pentalton insert stove for about a week now, I've been breaking it in. I had hotter fires, 350-450 (Rutland Temp gauge) but I don't see where the second burners have kick in. My wood is 2 years old very well seasoned very dry. The air flow is great but no matter were I have the air control setting either off, open a crack, half way or full I don't see where the seconds have kicked in. Getting a lot of blue flames on the wood but not seeing the second burners lighting up that you hear about. With a Foot of snow coming tomorrow I'm going to need the extra kick...thanks for your help.

Welcome to the world of woodburning!

You've had some good advice which I can not add to but it does make me curious why you think just because some snow is coming that you will need tons of heat? Most times while it is snowing the temperature is not that low at all. It is well after the storm before the cold moves in. We had a storm move through Michigan and now have some colder air but it is not that bad. It was supposed to be only in low 20's today but got warmer anyway. It is 28 right now. Sure, we'll have some teens for temperatures but again, that is not that cold. Think Spring! lol

It is good though that you will get some experience with that stove this spring so you will be all set come next winter. Enjoy the heat.

I think I was just not opening it up enough... I would close it then open just a crack found it burn slow but the highest tep was 300 degrees so I will open it a quarter of the way open to half see how that works. thanks again

Backwoods Savage said:
Lighting Up said:

Welcome to the world of woodburning!

You've had some good advice which I can not add to but it does make me curious why you think just because some snow is coming that you will need tons of heat? Most times while it is snowing the temperature is not that low at all. It is well after the storm before the cold moves in. We had a storm move through Michigan and now have some colder air but it is not that bad. It was supposed to be only in low 20's today but got warmer anyway. It is 28 right now. Sure, we'll have some teens for temperatures but again, that is not that cold. Think Spring! lol

It is good though that you will get some experience with that stove this spring so you will be all set come next winter. Enjoy the heat.

Backwoods Savage
Thanks for asking...I really needed help with getting my stove to go into second burn...and Ansehnlich1 gave me great advice that worked. However like you in Michigan I live by one of the great lakes, our house in in the open and when the winds of the nor-east-er kick up with 20-30mph winds it can make my furnace spend some major dollars and my house is still cold. I figured this snow (storm)... that is starting right now with 12-15 inch of snow winds 30mph would be my last chance before spring to see what my Obama Rebate New Avalon wood stove can do for me. Right now this little stove has my 2400sf house at 74 and I'm in a t-shirt. Again Ansehnich1 told me just what to do and the stove is in second burn. Thanks again

Glad you got that figured out. Now enjoy!

It seems that storm has had some very wicked winds. I read one place had 91 mph wind gust. Now that is serious indeed!

I'm not sure but it seems like we should have about the same climate. We usually don't get the extreme temperatures which is nice. Right now as I am typing I can look out the window and watch 3 deer feasting off our trees. A bit ago there were 7.

Here are some pictures from the storm the Avalon kept me warm all night with the second burners going...after plowing still went to work...bummer.

Attachments

• storm 002.jpg
    storm 002.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 277
  • storm 003.jpg
    storm 003.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 260
  • storm 001.jpg
    storm 001.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 252
wow you have all the snow! Here in the frozen north land it was something like +13 C in the sun and we do not have enough snow to cover the stubble in the fields. At best we maybe have 3" - 5" of snow on the ground :eek:hh:

My work or lifestyle does not depend on snowfall / moisture levels so OK by me.

’bert said:
wow you have all the snow!

It has been a pretty average season for most of us living in the lake effect bands off Lake Ontario. Our average is around 10' a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.