[updated] got it, with pics ... going to look at a polaris atv on wednesday...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m0jumb0

Aug 1, 2008
Middle TN
...any recommendations on what to look for or check on these? It's the sportsman 700 model. ~250 hours on it

I couldn't be happier... this thing has some grunt!
pict2503.jpg

Which year? Carb'd or EFI?

I rode with a few guys who had the carb'd version (maybe 2005 or so). Decent machines. A few had issues with overheating. Something about the fan not kicking on when it was supposed to.

not sure on the year or whether it's carbed or not. seems like EFI is a fairly recent development on ATVs. is it less reliable?

From what I've seen, no...EFI is very reliable. And it automatically adjusts for temperature and altitude.

I have had very good luck with the Polaris quads. I use a 500 with a dump box on it and it has served me well. It is a carbed version and I have had zero issues. The EFI rigs are definitely nicer but the carbed versions are still a great machine.

i had a magnum years ago and never had problems out of the carb system. Had to put a 4wd activator coil in the hub left front. Think that was the only real trouble i had out of it but the guy who had it before me slap wore it out

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm looking forward to looking at this thing today. I'm not all that concerned with efi vs carbed since it's not too cold here in the winter, and I probably won't be trailering it to Colorado (LOL). Hopefully it's in as good of shape as the guy says... 240 hours doesn't really seem like a lot, so I guess it depends on how it was ridden.

Like the the old Beach Boys song Little Old Lady from Pasadena, Only drove on weekends, 1/4 mile at a time flat out.

blades said:
Like the the old Beach Boys song Little Old Lady from Pasadena, Only drove on weekends, 1/4 mile at a time flat out.

yeah LOL! I'm not exactly going to be EASY on it either, but I don't want one that's been jumped and bounced off the rev limiter a lot! Modern engines with their close tolerances and high-tech alloys can take a lot of high-rev abuse though, so if it starts and runs good all through the rev range, doesn't smoke, and the suspension and drivetrain doesn't make a lot of noise, I should be ok. I checked on one of the polaris boards for common problems; doesn't seem like there are very many. I saw the overheating thing mentioned a couple times, but I'm not going to be doing real long trail rides so I'm not sure how concerned about that I should be about it. Problems on the internet have a way of seeming bigger than they are in reality... Selection bias and all that. Just have to keep an eye on the temp gauge and see. I'll never be too far from home with it.

well if anyone's interested, i got it. only 2 problems with it, the dipstick has lost its "grab" and doesn't stay in well, and the guy i bought it from just tore the rear inboard cv boot yesterday. he knocked a little off the price though, and they're both easy fixes. i flogged it pretty good when i went to look at it, and man this thing flies! first task is to pull my 20 horse mtd "tractor" out of the woods where the hydrostat died. :D

Cool! Post some pics! Both of those issues should be easy fixes. I've known some guys who've repaired the CV's with a kit...or taken them to a local shop. Some guys just replace the entire CV. That dip stick should be an easy fix...just get a new one.

Skier76 said:
Cool! Post some pics! Both of those issues should be easy fixes. I've known some guys who've repaired the CV's with a kit...or taken them to a local shop. Some guys just replace the entire CV. That dip stick should be an easy fix...just get a new one.

Yeah, I know there are split boot kits for front drive cars, so I'm gonna see if I can track one down in the right size for this. I didn't get home till after dark last night so didn't get the chance to take pics. I'll take a few later on when I knock off from work.

m0jumb0 said:
Skier76 said:

Yeah, I know there are split boot kits for front drive cars, so I'm gonna see if I can track one down in the right size for this. I didn't get home till after dark last night so didn't get the chance to take pics. I'll take a few later on when I knock off from work.

Cool, looking forward to the pics!

It seems like the biggest "pain" with replacing the boots is the tool that's used to set the clamp. A few guys have ended up buying them in case they have to replace another boot down the road.

Another sportsman 700 owner here. Bought an 04 left over in 06. Been very happy with it. Bought the plow kit for it later in the year, best 600 bucks i spent! I am amazed on how well the quad will move snow.

The dipstick, if i am remembering correctly has an o-ring that is a squeeze fit when you flip the lever.

Happy riding!

Like seige101 said, i belive that an o-ring replacement should snug the dipstick tube up. As for the cv boot, if the axle needs to be removed it takes a special puller, and instalation tool as best i can remember. done a couple polaris axle repairs and they took one, cant remember what years they were though.

PINEBURNER said:
Like seige101 said, i belive that an o-ring replacement should snug the dipstick tube up. As for the cv boot, if the axle needs to be removed it takes a special puller, and instalation tool as best i can remember. done a couple polaris axle repairs and they took one, cant remember what years they were though.

from what I can tell from the youtube tutorials I've watched on the subject, it seems like the half shafts are held into the rear end with circlips just like on most front drive cars and they pry out with a bit of force.. same goes for the cv joint itself. I haven't ordered the boot kit yet.. i'm not in a huge hurry. I have it covered in duct tape (hehehe) for the moment to keep the dirt out. I'll have to check on that o-ring.. I may have some that will work from a gasket set I bought a while ago. It's really only a minor annoyance. it gets oil on the left footboard

Status
Not open for further replies.