Updating/rebuilding an Englander pre 25-PFS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

idaho_winters

Sep 9, 2014
Idaho
Picked up an old Englander for basically free since the upper auger was constantly on. The PO was still using it last year & loved it but upon moving it, the board fell out & hence the constant on. It was very full of ash also. On the label is 25-PFS. Have cleaned it up & checked everything out- besides the board bad, both bearings are very bad, the lower motor runs super hot & rough, the door seal is suspect & the hopper latches are so worn, they no longer function, plus there was no burn/wear plate in it. Ordered parts for it while troubleshooting the board & noticed there is no over temp safety anywhere. Plus when I got the new wear plate it doesn't fit the pot. So I called Englander & after sending them a picture of the board , they believe me that it's not a PFS. The quote was "Oh crap, that's a dual auger from late 1989-90, our first stab at a pellet stove. It's a boat anchor."
I told him it's got the same auger motors, fans & basically the same layout as a PFS & your website says the PU-CB93 board is replaced by the newer PU-CB98 (control panel) This board is just an early version of the 93.
So after he spoke to the shop manager who knows this old stove, they agreed that it should work with their CB98 & change over kit & some diying, but I will just need to modify the wear plate. Since they don't have a wear plate for it. I'll modify the new PFS plate by welding on side spacers & adding some holes & bending & grinding to fit. Or I should probably modify the burn pot so these plates in the future will drop in. Plus it comes with the over temp sensor which I'll mount to the back if the fire box.
I know this is probably making some on here cringe at all the adapting but I've been diying things for a long time & will do the initial burn testing in my garage or driveway.
I thinks it's cool that Englander was willing to work with me & give it a shot.
I'll also hone out the auger tubes & clean up the augers since they are nasty as well.
Any others upgrades I can do while it's apart? Thought about a bigger convection fan??

Paint the augers and maybe part of the tubes with graphite paint to make things slip very well. I got to try the new graphite impregnated gasketing and seems very nice upgrade over the regular white.

I'll get some graphite paint. The augers are soaking in the parts washer. I can't believe this thing even worked. The bearings were so bad that the augers rubbed on the tubes. There were layers of baked pellets everywhere, even the seals for the hopper sections were gone. Can't wait to get it fired up.

Reactions: apandori
Status
Not open for further replies.