Updating stove insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roadstar

Mar 11, 2011
Puyallup, WA
The insulation I had around the stove box is falling apart. Has been for years. It’s cotton like stuff. Pulls and falls apart easily. So I bought a ceramic fiber blanket to replace it where I can. What would be the best way to secure this stuff? I have some metal tape but right now I don’t know if it will secure to the blanket. I bought it off Amazon and write up on the stuff said high temp silicone (RTV) could be used.

Any ideas?

The insulation I had around the stove box is falling apart. Has been for years. It’s cotton like stuff. Pulls and falls apart easily. So I bought a ceramic fiber blanket to replace it where I can. What would be the best way to secure this stuff? I have some metal tape but right now I don’t know if it will secure to the blanket. I bought it off Amazon and write up on the stuff said high temp silicone (RTV) could be used.

Any ideas?
Why are you insulating your stove?

I’m replacing the current insulation that is falling apart. I assume it was there in the first place to protect the wires on the outside of the firebox and perhaps keep the heat inside the firebox.

P1030880.JPG

Mine has insulation on the sides of the firebox where it is close to the panels, and on the top where it is close to the hopper. Probably other places too. I would think the purpose of the insulation is to allow closer clearance to combustibles, than if it didn’t have insulation.

Mine is a pad with foil backing. The foil backing is folded and lapped so it pretty much keeps the insulation in place on its own. I don’t know what’s behind it, but I would think high temp silicone would be fine. After all my high limit cutoff disc is 200F, mounted to the same heat exchanger shell as the insulation. Silicone is at least twice that, and the heat exchanger seams are sealed with orange silicone anyway.

Mine has insulation on the sides of the firebox where it is close to the panels, and on the top where it is close to the hopper. Probably other places too. I would think the purpose of the insulation is to allow closer clearance to combustibles, than if it didn’t have insulation.

Mine is a pad with foil backing. The foil backing is folded and lapped so it pretty much keeps the insulation in place on its own. I don’t know what’s behind it, but I would think high temp silicone would be fine. After all my high limit cutoff disc is 200F, mounted to the same heat exchanger shell as the insulation. Silicone is at least twice that, and the heat exchanger seams are sealed with orange silicone anyway.
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure about the RTV but I'll give it a try.