Upgrade to new(er) saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is pretty sick of them. But the 041 is a nice saw . Good thing you got what you needed to fix it

Well, in the continuing saga of getting my old 041AV up and running I think we've finally hit an end point. Since my last post when I had purchased a new ignition coil I learned from the Stihl shop that part of the problem was the original electronic ignition had been modified. I guess they didn't realize this until they went to put in the new ignition and saw different connectors than standard? They said I'd have to find an original "reducer" and then they MIGHT be able to get it back to factory. Would probably take another 2 hours of work or $140 more in repair (on top of close to $150 already performed with no success).

Either way, it sent me on a tailspin of what to do. Should I try to sink more time and $$ in this aging saw that I had ALREADY mostly replaced with the new MS271? The guys at the repair shop have been nice but extremely slow moving on repairs and getting back to me...they weren't making any promises that it would even work after they were done. I am definitely NOT made of money.

I decided to back off and just not do anything else for a month or so and see what they said. Well, turns out that might have been the best course of action. I stopped in the shop on Friday and wouldn't you know they tell me they had since found the right reducer and all the other parts to re-assemble the factory ignition setup and they were almost done rebuilding it. Apparently I'll have my old Farmboss back by next week..:

Only question is, what's all this going to cost me? I didn't direct them to make there final repairs, they just moved ahead. Let's hope we're not breaking the $300 mark but I sure do want my old girl back.

What it will cost you is best known by the repair shop. Contact them ASAP to let them know you'd like an estimate before going ahead with any more work.

What it will cost you is best known by the repair shop. Contact them ASAP to let them know you'd like an estimate before going ahead with any more work.
Right. So, my earlier comment probably sounds a little silly - basically they've anticipated another $140 worth of work to bring this thing back. I never said "don't do it" and it just struck me as funny that I had to stop it into the shop to find out they were still chipping away at my saw in my absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.