Upgrading, but what to do with old...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sledhead00

Oct 28, 2012
WNY
Im giving serious consideration to upgrading to a Osburn 2400. In fact I'm going to take a little drive on sat and price it out and hopefully see it in person at a some place on sat.
That said, I'm not sure what i would do with the 450 if I go through with the plan. I mean do places really take these in on"trade"? If they do I suspect I wouldn't get as much as if sold privately.
But doing some searching here it seems people haven't had great luck selling on CL or ebay either..
Plus any idea what an almost 4 yr jotul 450 might go for? Paid just under 2800 I think for the stove(not including install or liner)

if a stove is in real good condition our store takes them on trade.You are correct on getting alot more selling it privately.about 4 to 6 hundred is the average range for most used stove trade ins.

Just like trading in a car, they won't give you much for it. If you can hang tight you may have better luck selling it privately just before the burn season begins next year

When we upgraded recently we had no problem selling our 1998 quadrafire on Craig's list. I think it took less then a week. We are not in a very populated area but the guy drove two hours to pick it up. The stove was in top shape and looked really good. Just look on Craig's list to see what other stoves are going for in your area. Take really good photos of your stove and it should sell if it's in decent shape and listed for a good price.

Thanks for the responses and the comparisons Mellow. I didnt get any results from my local Cl search, but I had figured if i do go through with this I'd list it at 1300-1500 and give me a little wiggle room.
Anyways got to 2 places today to look at the 2400. Place 1 had an ok price, but from the sounds of the guy I was talking to he was also the installer and didn't get the best of vibe from him in that regard.
Place 2 I talked with installer there to. He seemed knowledgeable but the owners were pretty ridgid and were telling me from the second I mentioned osburn that I wanted something else. There quote was also almost 700 more than place 1.
Theres at least one other place I wanted to talked to, they were the place I first looked at osburn back in Sept, but they've been closed to t-giving.
However I'm also starting to wonder if it might be possible to just do the install myself? Both places were into early Jan to install, plus i wonder if I can find a it cheaper online. I mean with a liner there I figure it's more or less should just be a pull old one, install new one.( Im going to bookmark this now as that sentence should haunt me)

If your swapping out it "should" be an easy job. Things like liner needing to be dropped down due to difference in height and other factors are the fun parts. I know every time I have switched out my insert something didn't line up and needed to be adjusted, but nothing that couldn't be done yourself if you are competent.

Status
Not open for further replies.