Upgrading the Whitfield WP2 fire door and ash door gasketing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Always trying to do better. I find that the graphite impregnated rope gasket is neat stuff. Sliky smooth and lasts longer. Also when it is new it does not stick on the first or second stove fire. Getting a nice spongy graphite flat gasket was also hard to find.

The best I have found so far is the Grapho-Glas graphite gasketing

The Whitfield WP2 uses a 1/2" gasket and 8' will cover it.
The Grapho-Glas works

The WP ash door was tricky, the nice thicker 1/2" wide Grapho-Glas is nice and spongy but cannot be squished enough to close the ash door with the spring latch that looks like a screen door.

So I removed the latch and put two small lock washers on and bolted it back in. That raised the latch just enough to close the door!

Attachments

• IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2119.JPG
    IMG_2119.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Ever try graphite after installing regular gasketing?

I was hoping you would know as I have a fresh project and going to graphite it up tomorrow. Gasketing in the white is cheap and graphite powder has a lot of stove applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.