1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Upgrading to 200 Amp Service....basic questions.

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by daveswoodhauler, Nov 11, 2011.

1. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    Not sure if its a concern or not, but make sure your grounding is good for 200 amps too. When I built my house I hired a local electrician based on multiple recommendations from people whose opinion I trused. House was to be wored for 200A, dud put in a 100A rated ground and a tiny little breaker panel...among other screwups and lack of returning my calls this is why I replaced him with another electrician.

We were glad we caught the bad ground before we poured the basement floor over it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mainemaul

mainemaul New Member

Loc:
    southern me.

are you serious?
  3. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    The inspection didn't catch it? Our old 100amp was just grounded to the metal water main. For the new service they retained that, and added a supplemental ground rod outside (code minimum I beleive is 2 8ft ground rods OR 1 ground rod + water main).
  4. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    We found and fixed it pre-inspection.
  5. burnham

burnham Member

Loc:
    central massachusetts
    2 ground rods even with the copper water main. the logic is you may change to a plastic service sometime down the road.
  6. seige101

seige101 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Palmer, MA
    Copper water main and 1 ground rod if you can prove 25 ohms to ground or less. Most electricians will not spend the several grand for the tester and we just drive 2 rods and don't have to prove the resistance. The extra 6' of copper, ground rod, acorn clamp and labor to install it is probably right around 20 bucks.
  7. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Maybe our code inspector is lazy? Only one rod + the main and it wasn't questioned.... hmm