Upgrading to gas hot water boiler for my Dad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arngnick

Feb 15, 2013
Mansfield, PA
So I have done ALOT of research prior to setting up my hot water wood boiler system I have learned alot while doing my system and now my Dad is ready to upgrade his OLD gas steam boiler to a new efficient gas hot water boiler. Money is tight but we want to do this right the first time. (Unlike me where I made the wrong boiler choice the first time.)

Ok so the plan is to get a new gas hot water boiler my suggestion at 90+% efficeint. We will hook this up to in floor radient heat on the first floor and remove the cast iron rads. On the second floor there will likely be a couple regular baseboard zones.

My question is what are the key factors in determining a quality boiler. I have seen "quality/top rated" boiler ranging from 2K to 6K just for the boiler. One boiler my Dad is looking at has an indirect tank within the boiler which would save money on the total system.

The boiler my Dad has been looking at is http://www.axeman-anderson.com/centaurus.html

What are your thoughts / suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.