UPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I have at my work an oneac 600 UPS that is going in the garbage. It needs a new battery. Can these be used as a back up for a pellet stove?

It looks like it has a true sin output so you should be good to go and "borrow" the one from work and put a battery in it. Did you price batteries yet? I normally order from Battery Mart or Apex Battery for my small UPS'.

This is an older version. It says input 120 A, output 120 A. The batteries look to be around $20 or so I guess...

I guess as long as you know the UPS works and it's a true sin output, I would pull the trigger on new batteries. The only thing, I'm not sure how long your runtime would be but might be long enough to shutdown the stove properly in a loss of power.

My main concern is that it would kill the circuit board of my pellet stove. Do you think it would do that if it wasn't enough power or what would happen..

Chris, the problem with a UPS that doesn't have a pure sine wave output isn't with the circuit board....it's with the motors. Modified waves cause the motors to hum & get overheated.....possibly fail.

chrisasst said:
My main concern is that it would kill the circuit board of my pellet stove. Do you think it would do that if it wasn't enough power or what would happen..

Honestly, if it's working correctly you really have nothing to lose other than the $40 it will cost you in new batteries. It will filter power, surge suppress, add a bit of runtime in a power failure to power down, etc. As imacman said, as long as it's a true pure sin output (and from what I read about your model it is) you should be good to go.

I have one of similar size and it failed miserably at running the stove when called upon. Motors hummed like crazy and stove acted real weird. I had to cut the power completely.
Mine wasn't a true sine wave setup. These things are meant for computers, not stoves.

Dumb question, how do you get a "true" sine wave out of a UPS?

The UPS has an inverter built into it to convert the battery to 120 volts AC current. Most of the better brand name UPS units are pure sine wave, I have an APC 1500, and its' pure sine wave. I can power my Castile insert into a shut down in case I lose power.

You should have enough power to at least power down during a power failure which during shutdown is only using the blowers, but you will never have enough power to run your ignitor to start the stove up that generally takes 800 watts or more and UPS doesnt have the reserve power to run an ignitor for 5 minutes.

Nicholas440 said:
.......you will never have enough power to run your ignitor to start the stove up that generally takes 800 watts or more and UPS doesnt have the reserve power to run an ignitor for 5 minutes.

In most cases, the UPS is not there to start-up the stove.....only to allow it to run long enough to do a proper shutdown, or to allow time to get another power source (generator, etc) started and hooked-up.

Oh, BTW, there are NO pellet stoves that I know of that pull 800 watts during start-up....typically they draw 400-450 watts, then go to 125-200 watts during normal burning.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but you can not get a "true"sine wave out of a UPS.

oldspark said:
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but you can not get a "true"sine wave out of a UPS.

I'm certainly no expert in this field, but according to the company Cyber Power, they disagree with you:

www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/...ml?selectedTabId=featuresAndBenefits&imageI;=

From the unit description:
"Pure Sinewave - The UPS generates energy that is identical to or cleaner than the utility company's power grid. Benefits include: low total harmonic distortion, minimal electrical noise, and optimal line clarity."

Don't shoot the messenger but this is direct from the Oneac 600 spec sheet:

• True sine wave output: ensures clean power

A true sine wave is created by a rotating generator, I think they are just using the wrong description. A better unit will give you better DV's (digital voltage) but none the less not a "true" sine wave. I was just wondering where the terms were coming from.

True and pure are not the same thing, true would be by a AC generator rotating giving you the voltage changes and polarity changes, pure means it is a clean sine wave but a synthetic one. One of the posts above talks about a modified wave not being good enough, a UPS will have a modified wave, it just depends on how good a one you buy how "pure" (clean) it will be.

oldspark said:
They are saying pure not true, that makes a difference.

No...they said "true" not pure....• True sine wave output: ensures clean power

Like I said, don't shoot the messenger!

The link posted above said pure, that is what I was refering to, which site says true?

I think pure is a better term and some people have a problem with that, I found another site that called it true, I will not bore you with another forum that had this same discussion, sure sounds like there is a bunch of crap out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.