"upside down" fire lighting in a gasifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all--

with my former wood/ hot air furnace, someone clued me into the counter-intuitive but very effective technique of upside-down fire building--

--where you put the big wood on the bottom, and go to smaller and smaller up to the top, and then have the kindling and paper on top.

that worked _really_ well with my old unit- the small stuff on top would "take off" and create a draft that'd get it roaring, and then drop coals into the bigger stuff below, which would begin to light off, too.

I am curious as to whether anyone has tried this upside-down method with success in a downdraft gasifier?

I recall NoFo mentioning having tried it with little success in his EKO 25- just wondering if it is a technique that is generally/ completely unsuited to getting a fire going in a downdraft gasifier, or whether it varies with unit/ wood/ technique, etc., and whether anyone has had any luck with it

Thanks

I keep meaning to try it, but haven't yet. During most of the heating season I'm just throwing wood on top of a bed of coals, so I do very little firestarting from scratch.

I think I will try it right now I'll post my results later this evening.

It didn't work as well as Nofossil's " Four minute gasifier startup, minimal smoke" I was about 25 minutes to get gasifaction.

And yes I can get 4-5 minute gasifaction almost every time, using Nofossil startup.

Kipstr said:
It didn't work as well as Nofossil's " Four minute gasifier startup, minimal smoke" I was about 25 minutes to get gasifaction.

And yes I can get 4-5 minute gasifaction almost every time, using Nofossil startup.

now we know- and thanks for being the guinea pig- with no storage yet, and with my oil turned off, I hadn't wanted to risk fooling with something other than the NoFo method. I can't really get gasification in 5 minutes, but I think that is because my remaining wood is not as dry as I wish it was...

That's exactly the way I lit my old Wood Gun. Big stuff, then kindling and paper on top! It was a negative pressure firebox with a huge fan on the output side and it moved tons of CFM of air. I didn't have you guys around back then to start me thinking about varying the fan speed, however it probably needed to move a hell of a lot of air because it didn't have provisions for secondary air. All the air came in through one motorized damper. The thing actually would blow sparks out of a 20 foot chimney on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.