Upsizing Wood Stove HT-2000 or Timber Ridge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reimer

Jan 5, 2009
Ottawa Can.
Hi. I've been using a cast iron Waterford Trinity for about 10 years for whole house heating, has a convenient side loading door, find its efficient and great in the fall and spring but output marginal during the coldest 2 months when goes well below -5C and end up filling it every few hours. I used to have a much larger Findlay Chatelaine in the 1980's which worked well here in all seasons but not safe or clean burning by today's standards.

Am looking at a larger stove, like the Drolet HT-2000, or Timber Ridge 50-TNC30T which run about $1500 locally. These seem to be also called SBI- Enerzone Solution 3.4, England Summersheat in US etc. Trinity firebox measures about 2.1 cu.ft., others are about 3.4 depending on usable volume? Specs ...vary in many ways, technology seems similar to my 1995 Trinity.

Was wondering if any suggestions/experience with these or similar models in terms of sizing; e.g. can I safely run a bigger one like the above at lower ouput in the spring and fall to cover the whole heating season? If changing stoves from undersize I don't want to then oversize. Some reviews say the HT-2000 is hard to modulate?

Also the Trinity uses outside air inlet, helps to reduce drafts, seems not that common feature now?

There are lots of favorable reviews of all these stoves. You should be fine. All have the option of adding an OAK (outside air kit). Control the output by the amount of fuel you feed the fire. In milder weather build a partial fire with 5-6 splits. Let it burn down and only add another split or two to refresh the fire.

How large an area are you heating?

There are lots of favorable reviews of all these stoves. You should be fine. All have the option of adding an OAK (outside air kit). Control the output by the amount of fuel you feed the fire. In milder weather build a partial fire with 5-6 splits. Let it burn down and only add another split or two to refresh the fire.

How large an area are you heating?
Thanks. Am heating about 2000 sq. ft., a backsplit with large stairwell for circulation, gets down to -30C outside sometimes. Drolet say the HT2000 does not allow outside air since air intake at top/front. Checking other stoves, dealers say it is available only on some models, and really only used/required for mobile homes? I understand using inside air would tend to depressurize a well sealed, newer house, for example when exhaust fans running? (Not so much mine).

I installed the HT2000 this fall in my home, so far loving it. -15F last night 76 inside. Been burning 24/7 since thanksgiving no problems or issues yet......it's a serious heater, just my 2 cents.

I'll take a look

I'll take a look
Thanks, all good suggestions. Earliest Drolet review I could find (2005?) was quite negative; open back ash compartment, possible burns from partial door opening etc. No mention recently. Seems to better suit my floor configuration, not as deep as Timber Ridge, and side shields I would think give better convection? Also it looks like there are firebox air tubes through the top plate, not just over it for fan circulation?

I bought the timber ridge this fall and I am able to keep most of my 3000s/f house very warm, only exception is a couple bedrooms at the end of the hallway.It worked just fine in the shoulder season, I would just burn overnight. I will tell you it likes good draft, I have 36"SWP and a 90 into a 7"x11" masonry chimney that is 19' ish. Draft is marginal at best, I will be lining it next year to improve it. Canadian tire had it on sale for 999$. I am able to burn over night having nice coals after 8 hours burning just doug fir. Overall I am very pleased.
004.jpg

I don't use the ash pan on mine, I find it easier to scoop the ashes out through the door.
As far as the door only opening 90 degrees it works to my advantage because I have a corner install. That way the door can't hit the wall or anything on the hearth. The air is routed under the rear portion of the top plate

Englander nc 30 = timber ridge= summers heat all the same stove made by Englander (USA company are built here stateside), different names for retail puposes , slightly smaller firebox capacity than the Drolet ( Canadian made- SBI parent co) Both stoves have tubes up top in the firebox for injecting air for secondary burn, those are not heat ex-changer tubes. 30 has a OAK that can be used if desired I haven't seen a ht2000 in person. Costco carries the ht2000. Price listed at 1499.99 Canadian Runs about $1200 stateside. I have a 30 works well for me ( 2000 ft ranch) moving heat in a split ranch is always a challenge. Plent of reviews /threads on the 30

Thanks all. Still question from Blades info. From the sectional drawing and some reviews I understood the Drolet has horizontal tubes welded through the upper step in the firebox for better air exchange heating; e.g. horizontal behind the upper chrome strip, or am I mistaken? Someone who owns one can confirm or deny? Notice the Englander 30-NC here now for $989 vs $1500 for the Drolet, seems big difference given Cdn $$, thought Timber Ridge version only in Canada..

That is correct, the tubes do route through the upper step and exit through the trim piece you mentioned.

If time is not an issue you could wait till this spring to buy, there should be deals to be had on any of the mentioned stoves.

To clarify I'm not talking about the re-burn tubes. The blower on the HT- 2000 will push air up the back of the stove then under the upper step and out the through the trim piece on the front of the stove.

Thanks all. Still question from Blades info. From the sectional drawing and some reviews I understood the Drolet has horizontal tubes welded through the upper step in the firebox for better air exchange heating; e.g. horizontal behind the upper chrome strip, or am I mistaken? Someone who owns one can confirm or deny? Notice the Englander 30-NC here now for $989 vs $1500 for the Drolet, seems big difference given Cdn $$, thought Timber Ridge version only in Canada..
i think the Englander is better compared to the Drolet Myriad, Baltic, etc... which are in same price (all those drolets share same firebox) - I like my Myriad but it appears they have changed them since they are all labeled 'II' now - appears to have actual burn tubes compared to the cast piece in mine- I would take a look at those too if you could (they are north-south burners) - well built stoves for the money

i got a better deal on the drolet from northern tool in the spring clearance through mail order then I could find on the englader
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=24&Ntt=drolet+myriad

(the drolets only require ember protection for the hearth)

Last edited:
Thanks; yes the Myriad seems very similar to TN-30 except no step and lots worse emisssions?
I ended up getting the Englander on the weekend, Home Depot had 10% discount special, so about $900 Cdn ($650US?) compared to $1400 best Drolet price here. Apparently NC-30 is not normally sold in Canada but distributor ran short of others and substituted them. Certainly heavy enough...Now have to sort out what to put it on so not so close to floor, and outside air and fan. Included AC-16 fan certainly noisy on high, and no thermodisc or rheostat. Would like to use my current IBM DC variable speed fan but its even bigger. Notice the England OAK recommended is not insulated and only 3", vs. 4 insulated for my current stove, must be for California vs Canada use?

grats on the englander, lots of people on here use and like them. just make sure your hearth is up to the R value required by it and enjoy the warmth.

Thanks; yes the Myriad seems very similar to TN-30 except no step and lots worse emisssions?
I ended up getting the Englander on the weekend, Home Depot had 10% discount special, so about $900 Cdn ($650US?) compared to $1400 best Drolet price here. Apparently NC-30 is not normally sold in Canada but distributor ran short of others and substituted them. Certainly heavy enough...Now have to sort out what to put it on so not so close to floor, and outside air and fan. Included AC-16 fan certainly noisy on high, and no thermodisc or rheostat. Would like to use my current IBM DC variable speed fan but its even bigger. Notice the England OAK recommended is not insulated and only 3", vs. 4 insulated for my current stove, must be for California vs Canada use?
There are other differences. The Myriad II has a C-Cast baffle, ember protection only hearth requirement. Another 3 cu ft Englander to look at is the Summer's Heat (Monroe?) 50-SHSSW02. It has an ember protection only hearth requirement.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_669024-76845-50-SHSSW02_0__?productId=999918850

Status
Not open for further replies.