Upstairs fireplace... should I install an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

area_man

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2013
Oregon City, OR
The upstairs of my new house has a fireplace. It's got glass doors in a brass (?) face plate and the previous owners used it to heat the upstairs with a combination of wood, junk mail, and paper plates (classy). From reading this form for the last few weeks, it seems as though a fireplace sucks the heat out of a house whether it's in operation or not. I don't know whether that's true. My wife is concerned that our kids' upstairs bedrooms will be cold.

I was thinking about installing a Century 45 in that fireplace to block heat loss and to provide heat to the upstairs. My family resides upstairs for the most part, and my wife and I sleep downstairs where the main wood stove is located.

My understanding is that if I install an insert upstairs that I'll have to run a new stove pipe from the upstairs stove up the chimney.

I'm not opposed to replacing the Orley in the basement with a more modern and efficient stove insert if it makes financial sense, but for right now I need to live with what I have there.

Should I install an insert upstairs with a new pipe, install an insert upstairs and upgrade the existing pipe from the basement with new insulated pipe? I'm new to all this and don't know.

Thank you.

Depends on how much area the upstairs stove would be heating and how many sq ft down below. You might be more comfortable with a medium sized insert on each floor.

How will you feel about hauling firewood up the stairs all the time, and carrying ash back down?

I am a fan of having two stoves burning gently rather than one stove working hard to heat the whole house. I have the insert upstairs and a pre-EPA stove downstairs. With both going the house is warm, comfortable, and evenly heated. It also gives me the extra capacity for those bitter cold spells we get a couple of time each winter.

KaptJaq

The upstairs of my new house has a fireplace. It's got glass doors in a brass (?) face plate and the previous owners used it to heat the upstairs with a combination of wood, junk mail, and paper plates (classy). From reading this form for the last few weeks, it seems as though a fireplace sucks the heat out of a house whether it's in operation or not. I don't know whether that's true. My wife is concerned that our kids' upstairs bedrooms will be cold.

I was thinking about installing a Century 45 in that fireplace to block heat loss and to provide heat to the upstairs. My family resides upstairs for the most part, and my wife and I sleep downstairs where the main wood stove is located.

My understanding is that if I install an insert upstairs that I'll have to run a new stove pipe from the upstairs stove up the chimney.

I'm not opposed to replacing the Orley in the basement with a more modern and efficient stove insert if it makes financial sense, but for right now I need to live with what I have there.

Should I install an insert upstairs with a new pipe, install an insert upstairs and upgrade the existing pipe from the basement with new insulated pipe? I'm new to all this and don't know.

Thank you.

I guess you should insert it with an existing pipe from the basement, that will look good.

Should I install an insert upstairs with a new pipe, install an insert upstairs and upgrade the existing pipe from the basement with new insulated pipe?

Most new stoves are designed to work with a specific size flue. Open fireplaces usually have a fairly large flue and it is most likely too big for a modern stove/insert. So yes, you will probably have to reline the upstairs flue. As mentioned above, I like two stoves rather than one large one. Moving heat from downstairs is always difficult at best, two stoves will solve that problem. If you have basic DIY skills relining a flue is not a difficult job. Is it a full masonry fireplace upstairs? Clay lined flue? What size? Is the chimney internal (center of the house) or external (outside wall)?

Does the downstairs stove have a fully lined flue (Steel pipe that goes from the stove to the top of the chimney)? Does it have a block-off plate at the bottom and a sealing cap at the top? If not you might consider upgrading the liner on the downstairs stove also.

KaptJaq

Status
Not open for further replies.