Upstairs heat zone used as overheat dump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penfrydd

Jul 7, 2008
Western MA
www.penfrydd.com
Since I've got to do an overheat zone above the boiler, which is not in the basement (old milkroom attached to house), I may as well put in a heat zone upstairs. I'm assuming I can do this by giving the automag and return line direct access without restrictions, and simply add in either an additional zone valve or circ pump, but put in check valves to make the overheat work properly.

Is this correct thinking?

Also...do I put in an additional circ or simply a zone valve?

Install going slowly due to other things in life. I figure if I take long enough, I'll be dead by the time the boiler wears out!

Thanks,

penfrydd

penfrydd said:
Since I've got to do an overheat zone above the boiler, which is not in the basement (old milkroom attached to house), I may as well put in a heat zone upstairs. I'm assuming I can do this by giving the automag and return line direct access without restrictions, and simply add in either an additional zone valve or circ pump, but put in check valves to make the overheat work properly.

Is this correct thinking?

Also...do I put in an additional circ or simply a zone valve?

Install going slowly due to other things in life. I figure if I take long enough, I'll be dead by the time the boiler wears out!

Thanks,

penfrydd

You won't get very much thermosiphon flow through a traditional zone valve - they're designed to provide restriction. If your system is zone valve based, a simple zone valve in parallel with the automag should do the trick, or perhaps you could just use a 24vac relay to interrupt power to the automag when you need heat in that zone.

If your system is circulator based (a circ for every zone) then you's need a circ for the new zone as well, probably in parallel with the automag.

Status
Not open for further replies.