Upstate, NY -March 27- Ticks Already!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Just took my dogs out on my farm fields for a walk today. Come inside and sure enough my one Jack Russell , being white, has a tick crawling her head... Can't believe their active already, 46 degrees out I guess that's warm enough,, still snow on the ground in spots. Wonder if this is an indication as to a bad tick season..

We had an unbelievable number of ticks last year, and since the cold doesn't kill them I expect them to be worse this year. Absolutelt hate them. My dog can come home with a dozen on him...adn they are hard to see in a wheaten coat. Charley, you mentioned you use some essential oils as repellant. Can you post what you use here? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

We had an unbelievable number of ticks last year, and since the cold doesn't kill them I expect them to be worse this year. Absolutelt hate them. My dog can come home with a dozen on him...adn they are hard to see in a wheaten coat. Charley, you mentioned you use some essential oils as repellant. Can you post what you use here? Any other suggestions are appreciated.
I use purification, by Young Oils.. Go to the Oily Vet site, she uses the same brand of oils as she found them to be the only consistently made oils strength wise... She has a whole book on using oils to treat animals.. I put a drop on my palm rub them together and then rub my dog down with my hands... She said the oils actually travel down the hair to the skin, no need to get them right on the skin.. Peppermint, lemon grass oil works well too...I make up a spray with the oils and spray my cutting chaps when I'm out cutting firewood... I hate ticks! Look her site up , some really good info,,, The Oily Vet...she has an information section... She also offers a 3week on line course on using the oils..Purification is a blend of oils.. Here's a video. They make a lot of different oils, etc. You can take them internally as well... My wife had a bad cold , sneezing, watery eye's, etc.. Gave her four drops of Thieves blend they make in a capsule, 3 times during the day, next morning, no more cold, got to see that for myself, impressed.. They make great stuff and it's all from plants..
I also diffuse the oils into our air as well..

Thanks for the heads up. I was in Ulster County a couple of weeks ago and found one on me.Yuck..
How frequently do you find you have to reapply it to the dog?

Ours never left! With the high deer population here, and a very high instance of lymes in both people and animals, we see ticks all year round. It snowed here Monday, dog came in with a tick, couldn't believe it! The oil in Earl Gray Tea, bergamont, is a great tick/bug repellant too. I make a triple strength pot of tea and when it's cool but comfortably warm, I put the dogs in the tub and pour it on them neck to tail. You can apply drops of the oil too on their collars but I only do that the heat of the summer when they are really bad. There is alot of info on line if you want to read more about it.

Thanks for the heads up. I was in Ulster County a couple of weeks ago and found one on me.Yuck..
How frequently do you find you have to reapply it to the dog?
About every couple of hours that they are out in the fields or woods.. I usually comb them with a fine comb once back inside.. I don't want them leaving them to host on me... Nice thing is to have the tick get on board but then leave the dog.. I've put the oil right on a deer tick that I have removed from one of my dogs and one drop killed the tick in like 10 minutes... A woman at a Young oil seminar stood up and announced the Cornell University had confirmed that purification killed ticks. Even peppermint oil works to keep insects at bay. Citronella oil works as well...You only need a drop. These oils are strong, some should be diluted with a 50-50 vegetable oil base or coconut oil works too.. Yup, can't believe the ticks are out already...

Thought I spotted one a couple days ago, then found 2 on one of the towels drying on the clothesline, today.
Last year, they were bad for about 1.5-2 months, then it seemed like they disappeared.
I'd be fine if that happened permanently.:mad:

Reactions: ScotO
Pulled one off of my back yesterday, deer tick to boot.

Currently battling Lyme, and the Muprh is dealing with Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

I'm going to check into those oils.

Ugh my wife has found 2 on her clothes already and worse we pulled one off my 2 year old daughter this week. Thankfully we caught it right away and it was on her back so she wasn't scared as we removed it.

Yard is crawling with them! !!!

We picked up several 2 weeks ago on the bike trail along the old canal near Little Falls. Same thing last year.

Thought I spotted one a couple days ago, then found 2 on one of the towels drying on the clothesline, today.
Last year, they were bad for about 1.5-2 months, then it seemed like they disappeared.
I'd be fine if that happened permanently.:mad:
I've been pulling one a day off my Jack Russell,, with such a strong sense of smell , he hates when he smells the Purification oil when I place a drop on the site where I've removed the tick.. we use the Otom tick removers ,, twist as you apply a slight pull and the whole tick comes out every time... Yes it seems the ticks are here until the end of June and then their gone for a few months and then right back when fall arrives.. I;ll have to start putting a drop of essential oil in the palms of my hands ,, rubbing them together and then rubbing my JR down quick.. It's funny my cat is usually the one who has ticks and checking him daily he has had none.. Good tick removers: www.otom.com

Reactions: ScotO
Ugh my wife has found 2 on her clothes already and worse we pulled one off my 2 year old daughter this week. Thankfully we caught it right away and it was on her back so she wasn't scared as we removed it.

Yard is crawling with them! !!!
I'd be spraying that yard with a Permethrin-based bug killer. It is absolutely AMAZING how bad the ticks are getting each year, the past 4 or 5 years have been just unreal here in central PA. It's to the point where I won't let the kids play anywhere near the woods.....from early spring til winter....

Status
Not open for further replies.