urgent 10-cpm issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alltherage

Jan 12, 2012
chautauqua County, NY
folks,
I got the stove running but the room blower doesn't kick on. I ran the diagnostic that someone else had posted previously and it kicked on. I'm trying to find the sensor and associated wires to check them. I'm looking in the manual but still having issues. please help.

Double check your bottom button settings and make sure they are 1-4-1.

The last "1" determines how soon the room blower kicks on after detecting heat.

does anyone know what the 2 numbers should be when you run the test in diagnostic mode? When I plug it in, and immediately press the low burn air and air on temp buttons, it shows a 6 for heat range and usually a 0 for blower speed. As the diagnostic test says, the blower speed number does fluctuate. I'm so upset right now...ugh

yes, my factory settings are 1-4-1.

The room blower only kicks on if I do it in diagnostic mode. Otherwise, the stove starts normally in start up, but the blower never comes on, even when it exits startup mode

Did you try turning heat level up just to see if that'd do it? Start up cycle runs at 5-5 and the room blower normally kicks in before that is finished.

alltherage,
Check those settings as jrsdrw says.
in diag mode, blower is 0 as you say, probably should be higher in what i infer from reading the diag section, and as below.
I do not know your stove, but if 1-4-1 , then blower speed is either 1 or 4 ?
good luck.

Found this on http://www.englanderstoves.com/help/PelletStove/no_room_air.html
#2 is asking what the blower speed is set at.
========

The room air blower in all England's stove works pellet units is controlled by the circuit board. this blower does not start until the unit has reached operating temperature. use the following steps to determine why the room air blower is not running.

Click Here for Downloadable Instruction Sheets

1. Is there a fire in the unit? the unit must be at operating temperature to turn on the blower.

2. What is the "blower speed" set at? The room air blower runs very slowly in its lowest settings and does not run at all in setting 0.

3. Does the stove shut off completely at 20-30 minutes from starting? The circuit board's heat sensor must read enough temperature during startup to engage the "run" mode of the stove, if this temperature is not read by the sensor, not only will the room air blower not come on the stove will shut off. If this is the case, check the heat sensor wires , make sure that the sensor is tight against the firewall and that it is plugged in to the control board. If this is all correct replace the heat sensor (part number PU-CBHS ).

If the problem is not solved by using the steps above, remove the rear access panel, locate the blower and follow its wires back to the control board. unplug the two room air blower wires from the control board plug them into the terminals for another component such as the lower auger motor. and turn the unit on , the room air blower should start if the blower itself is good. If the blower still does not start the blower should be replaced.

I did the diagnostic check and the blower kicks on so i know it works. I don't know how to find the sensor that tells the blower to turn on. Is it behind the fire brick?

As UncleAnthony asked: Does the stove shut off completely and give you an error code or does it keep running?

If running....please post your heat level setting number and blower setting number.

The last button that is labeled "air on temp", is for the cadence of the stirrer. The air on temp sensor is attached to the top of the exhaust blower. From there it goes to the control board. It may have come off. The sensor attached to the top of the exhaust blower is on newer stoves. At least 2009 and newer. The air on temp button has been reprogrammed to turn the stirrer. Leave the AOT on "1". That should be fine for 99% of applications.
Good luck

it keeps running...i've had it at 5-5 and even ran it at 9-9 for a bit.

One thing i've alsobnoticed with this stove, versus my 25-pdvc, is that after you put it in shutdown mode and it runs like that for a while, the stove shuts down completely even though pellets are still smoldering....making smoke.

The AOT is at 1. I see the sensor now, and the white "ropelike" wire. The wire is attached to the circuit board.

Gotta be loose wire to thermal switch on exhaust blower or bad switch.

make sure the wire is tight on the exhaust blower. The "rope" is just a jacket to protect from heat.

If the diagnostic causes the blower to come on than it's a wire issue. Double check. It might be broken. The sensor could also be bad. Unlikely. But possible.

I do notice that the white wire is ziptied tight close to the circuit board..much tighter than it needs to be in my opinion.
Everything seems to be connected properly though

I ran this stove for a good half hour and teh blower never came on. Is it possible that it never came up to temp? The fire during startup (5-5 and 1-4-1 settings) wasn't especially big and it wasn't consistent either. As i've said, i bumped it up to 9-9 after it finished start up mode. Obvously the blower didn't come on then either. I'm just wondering is there's a remote possibility it hasn't reached the proper temp to this point.

Without a doubt it should have easily reached temp either at startup 5-5, let alone 9-9. How tall of a flame are you seeing at 5-5? Can you describe it? Maybe something else going on here and you aren't getting up enough temp.

After that fire ignites, there should be enough pellets in the pot to produce a pretty high/hot flame....then it will burn down, of course.

it ignites very quickly...after just a couple minutes. The flame was initially 4 or 5 inches high, but it does dwindle down to nothing, and then more pellets arrive and reignite it. The front of the stove, where the air vents are for the blower, are certainly hot to the touch after it burns for 10 minutes. I will say that the flame during startup is not very consistent, especially compared to my 25-pdvc which is very consistent and hot during start up.

I want to try and let it burn longer but i'm concerned that I'll overheat it if that blower isn't kicking on. Is the blower sensor the same sensor that controls the overheat shutdown safety mechanism? If not, i'll restart it and let it go for an hour or something. thanks for all the help to day all!

Hmmm....something else not right. Mine lights pellets in a couple of minutes and as the fire spreads across the pot it is at least as tall as the window glass. I wish I knew more and could help. Either Imacman or Mike Holton from Englander will be along soon hopefully. If not, call Englander customer service tomorrow and they'll get you fixed.

There have been times where it took 15 min for the blower to come on. Especially if it's on 1- 1. It might be the sensor. Call Englander tech support in the morning.

Change your lower button settings to 3-5-1 for now, and see if the blower finally comes on. Depending on the pellets you're using, there might not be enough heat to keep it hot enough for the blower to kick on.

Make sure the heat sensor wires are plugged into the control board firmly (with power cord unplugged)

Another idea would be to do a complete hard re-set of the control board.

BTW, does the auger motor run consistently all during start-up (Are there pellets getting sent into the burn pot every 7-8 seconds)?

I'm PRAYING Mike comes on tonight...I bought another englander because of his presence here and the other englander community on hearth. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.