US 6041I Vs. summer Heat 55-SHPEPI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenhawk

Jan 31, 2015
Indiana
New to pellet stoves!

Here's the deal. I purchased the US stove in November so far I've had several problems with auger jamming. This is extremely difficult to fix as you have to wrestle the unit all around to dissemble to replace the sheared pin and to get to the auger to clean out all the jammed pellets. So far it has Jammed twice and sheared pin once. The other issue is that it will throw Error 2 in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. Very frustrating. So much so that my dealer has offer to replace it with the summer heat model.

I switched to Lignetics brand pellets and haven't had any auger issues since. The Error 2 issue still occurs time to time.

To date I have burned right at a Ton of pellets, which is more than I expected. The US stove is rated for 2000 sq feet and my home is brick and was built in 64 with newer windows and is about 1700 sq feet. Probably hard for to say but does this seem like more pellets than normal. I live in southern IN and this winter has been pretty mild.

The question I have is would id be better off to make the switch or am I trading one poor unit for another? I have looked into the Harmon and it seems really nice and I couldn't find one bad review which can't be said about either of the two mentioned stoves on this thread. I didn't buy the Harmon due it it's extremely high price. Now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and spend the extra for it.

Frustrated and confused
Chicken hawkChicken hawk

How much for the Summer Heat?

Buy a Hardman....

Reactions: Mysticenchantment
No charge. My dealer is offering the exchange and install for free.

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the other stove? Summer Heat/Englander/Timber Ridge is available at HD and/or Lowe's. I just want to make sure you don't overpay for the stove.

They should be priced real close......

Myself, I prefer the 6041 because it has a substantial ash pan and is multifuel capable. The Summers Heat is a pellet only unit.

Before you ditch the 6041, if you wouldn't mind, pull the feed auger and motor one last time, take the auger off the motor and take a bastard cut mill file and file the outer edges of the flighting, and/or chuck the auger in a drill motor, have someone hold the drill motor and file the outer diameter of the auger flighting. Also, take a look in the auger tube and if there are any burrs, smooth them with a round file.

I believe filing the outside diameter of the auger will solve your jamming issue.

I own a 39 turned 41 and I've had it for 10 years with no jamming issues and I burn corn and pellets. My only issue is I wear out drive motors and I've become quite adept at rebuilding them. I filed and smoothed my auger's OD when I got the stove because it lookied a bit rough to me. Being a machinist, I look for that stuff.

Reactions: chickenhawk
Reactions: SidecarFlip
Also replace that auger pin with something better. Mine broke and fell out once at 3AM. Replaced it with a better pin and have had zero issues since. Your pellet usage is about right for that beast. These things are designed for comfort, not fuel economy.

Edit: For comparison I live in an 1850's farmhouse. About the same square footage. With the temps this winter, I have crested 6 tons. It's my sole heat source though. Only run the propane when the stove is off for cleaning.

The 6041 was rt at 1800

Thats list and I presume it was installed as well? They can be had at stores like TSC for substantially less (you install).New

....."Also replace that auger pin with something better. Mine broke and fell out once at 3AM. Replaced it with a better pin and have had zero issues since".....

Your local hardware store will have a quality spring pin to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.