US King Pellet Stove 5502m - new user issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heathernicb

Nov 20, 2016
WV
We are new to pellet stoves, we previously had a natural gas furnace. We ran our new pellet stove last night for the first time. Our house is a drafty 100+ year old, approx 2300 sq ft, 3 story home (not counting the basement). The pellet stove is in our kitchen on the first floor and we vented it through an existing chimney where a wood stove used to be vented years and years ago. We started it around 9pm last night and it got just warm in the kitchen but did little to nothing for the rest of the house. It was pretty cold when we woke up this morning. After changing some settings, we realized we had the draft fan setting too high. Now it's roaring and putting out some good heat in the kitchen but we are still waiting for it to warm up the rest of the house. We have a small fan on the floor at the kitchen door drawing air out of the kitchen and a ceiling fan on low in the kitchen.

I have a couple of questions:

-How do you recommend circulating the heat through the house? Being an old house, it is not an open floor plan. There are a lot of walls and 8-10 ft ceilings. Plenty of places for the heat to get stuck so we feel like we are going to have to leave it on full blast to circulate the heat. Maybe that's just during the initial process of getting the house warm from pretty chilly temps. We are freaking out a little because we were thinking this was going to save us money in the long run but this morning we had gone through 3 quarters of a bag of pellets in about 12 hours with little to show for it. We had several people who own the same stove tell us that it would heat our home

-Is it normal that the door glass is already so dirty that we cannot see through it?

Just my opinion I think that stove is too small to heat your whole house.
The glass shouldn't be dirty where you can't see through it after one day thats
Usually an indication of a blockage in the stove.
You might have to keep it on for Days and then it will maintain the heat eventually.

Welcome to the forum there are many people here who will help
you with any problem you have with the stove .
One thing to remember a free standing pellet stove is a space heater
not a unit that is intended to heat a large drafty house .
My stove uses 1 to 2 bags a day depending on out side temp
The room I heat is large at 1100 sq. ft. . That being said some people
here have no trouble heating there homes with a pellet stove .
Others find it impossible to heat there homes on one stove
me included . I also use a forced air wood fired furnace
A low burn may well have contributed to the dirty glass.

We have a small fan on the floor at the kitchen door drawing air out of the kitchen
With the convection loop generated for heat, you likely will find it more helpful to direct the flow of air towards the stove using the fan on the floor. You are fighting natural dynamics of heat movement as cooler air falls to the floor... and the stove needs to pull in air to warm it again.

As to heating the house ... you also have to heat the contents of the house (couches, beds, chairs, etc). I think you are asking too much of the stove ... too big of an area that is likely not insulated.

Learn the settings of your stove. If you change something, you should wait at least 1/2 hour to see what effect the change has made. Keep us posted and welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.