Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowdooer

Snowdooer
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern, NY
    Thanks Chuck. I'm by no means a sheet metal guy, but with perseverence....

I do have some more playing to do. The first day was great. 75F and comfortable. Since then I've been having trouble balancing length of burn and temps in the house. I seem to only be able to achieve extremes. Either too hot in the house and a short burn or too cold with a longer burn. I think part of my problem is that my wood may be a bit too dry.

I did get the back plug out today and I agree, it doesn't do anything for me. I put it back in. I may experiment with it some more, but right now I have to work on the basics. I've been running with my under fire air damper 1/2 to 3/4 turns open and my over fire damper shut. This doesn't seem to give me enough air and I get about 300-350 flue temps max. I have a magnetic thermometer above the feed door and tends to run in the 425-475 range.

When I open the over fire damper just slightly I get nice secondary burn and my flue temp goes up about 50F. But then my burn time goes down. If I load the box heavy I can get 4-5 hrs out of it. At this rate I'll probably end up using 25 face cord, which is more than I have stacked....

2. Snowdooer

Snowdooer
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern, NY
    I've noticed a lot of you users of Hot Blast furnaces have removed your smoke doors. Does it make much of a difference in the smoke coming into the room while loading wood?

I usually open the flue damper and the bottom ash door for a few seconds before opening the front door. That seems to work well for me. That smoke curtain is a pain in the behind when loading wood, so I'd love to get rid of it.

What's the consensus?

3. JustWood

JustWood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 14, 2007
    Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY

Good advice for setting fan on/off limit switch. I experimented with mine and found 105/155 the best setting.
    I believe every setup requires a different setting. My manual says the low should be set at 90 but at that
    temp. my chimney seems to creosote up fast. Since I have set it at 105 it is pretty much self cleaning.

4. smokinj

smokinj
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Iam using the same settings,and working good.Using lots of softwood and only sweeping the chimminey once a year and its not bad at all!

5. bigdog

bigdog
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2008
    Loc:
    W PA
    I had a similar problem with the blowers competeing against each other. My chimney is between the woodburner and furnace and it wasn't practical to pipe the woodburner into the furnace plenum. I piped the 8" round into the the trunk on either side of the plenum and the stove will burn us out of the house (2400 sq ft) if I let it. The only difference between us is my setup is centrally located in the basement. My runs from the woodburner are 6 and 8 feet long respectively. The 1537g should give you enough heat. My house is old and poorly insulated (working on it little bit at a time). My HVAC friend suggested I could get a bigger blower for the woodstove from an old furnace he tears out but so far it hasn't been needed.

6. bigdog

bigdog
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2008
    Loc:
    W PA
    That install looks great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.