US stove 2000 verses Drolet Legend verses Englander nc30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve kohlhagen

Jan 10, 2012
North Georgia
My situation is this :
new home 2000 sq. ft. ranch with very good insulation, 9 ft. ceilings
primary heating is heat pump with propane forced air back up
I will be finishing a basement rec room (500 sq. ft.) with door that leads to main level this summer
will use mostly on weekends to start (may increase over time) but main reason is for power outages and long term emergency back up

I had originally narrowed the search from nc30 and the US 2000 down to the US 2000 due to $499-599 price. While shopping at the local hardware store, I found the Drolet Legand for $849. This may be the floor model price. I'll have to check on that. They also had the US 2500 for $729.

If I leave the basement door open with a fan, will this heat any of the main level significantly?

We do have a propane gas fireplace in the upstairs living room that we use occasionally

Your thoughts and suggestions please.

Steve

My preference is for a more square firebox. It's not that a big stove with a wide firebox won't burn well, but I like the option of being able to burn with the wood N/S as well as E/W.

Your better off installing the stove on the main floor. You may get some heat from the basement but it will unbearably hot in your 500 sq ft basement.

Thanks for your replies. The stove is intended to be used in the exposed basement rec room.
I know the size of stoves are big, but I am assuming I can burn a smaller fire in the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.