us stove 5500 outside air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsvo

Jun 17, 2008
vt
friend of mine just had a 5500 us stove installed.house is old and not the tightest,but installer says it doesnt need outside air kit.stove seems to run nicely but weather warm now,nice flame,no soot,glass clean after about 8 hrs run time. what is your opinion?i thought it should have one,but this guy has installed alot of these.

jsvo said:
friend of mine just had a 5500 us stove installed.house is old and not the tightest,but installer says it doesnt need outside air kit.stove seems to run nicely but weather warm now,nice flame,no soot,glass clean after about 8 hrs run time. what is your opinion?i thought it should have one,but this guy has installed alot of these.

The conventioal wisdom on an OAK these days it that if the house is older and "leaky", don't bother. It's really for houses that have been built fairly recently (last 10-15 years) that are wrapped and very airtight.

I'm curious...wouldn't it increase the cold air being sucked into the house if you ran without an outside air vent? If so, maybe it isn't a safety issue but one of efficiency? If you pull in more cold air for combustion you burn more pellets.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.