US Stove 5500M problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tstelma

Nov 10, 2015
Michigan
I'm new here, and new to pellet stoves, so sorry if this question looks familiar. I have a new US Stove 5500M king stove that will not get hot. I've followed all the manual setup instructions, installed it by the book, etc. Trying to figure this thing out before it gets too cold out, I'm running on automatic settings and it won't even heat my 800 sft workshop above 60 degrees. This is a fully insulated, fully finished shop, and outside air is only in the 40's. Also, the auger doesn't seem to feed pellets fast enough to keep the burnpot supplied, and instead of having a flame it's more like pellet embers in the bottom of the burnpot. Could the auger be too slow? Any way to speed it up? Any advice on exhaust fan and/or blower fan adjustments to help get the heat flowing?

There are youtube videos explaining how to run US stoves with the digital control board. In a nut shell bump up your heat range ( first control button at the left I believe), then adjust the combustion air settings ( third button set I believe and that actually may be fine where it is) up or down accordingly. It will probably start in Auto and at a heat level of 1. Try level 3. Some models also have a manual air control, not sure about your model. We have some knowledgeable people around here on these stoves but this is a lean year with oil prices down.. Some of the tried and true may not be on board. But the good news is this stuff isn't rocket science !

Edit: in the videos I have watched it says to try one level up from the heat setting for the air. So if you set the heat to three, this should up pellet use. Then set the draft at level 4 for starters.

Good luck !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.