1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Us Stove 6041 exhaust pipe length question

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by fastmike22, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    As Smokey alluded to, maybe the heat is going up (is that a bad thing?). In the past when I have run stoves in the basement it takes a little time to warm things up. Concrete floors etc. I do like my 6041 but it took me a bit of tinkering to get it to run to my satisfaction. Setting #1 is not going to roast you out anyway. I like the way mine burns on #3. I seldom have run it on #4. At #1 you more than likely won't get more than 9000 or 10,000 btu's maybe a tad more, which isn't that much. Once you feel safe enough running it maybe you can bump it up a bit when you are there to watch it. There are a few things that I learned about this stove, it needs a little tinkering but once I got the hang of it the damned thing will burn anything but rocks and it is possible to get great heat out of it. After all that being said, if the 12' horizontal run is hindering air flow you wont get the heat out that you want. It has to breath out before it can breath in.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    My main furnace doesnt have a chimney. It is electric with an outside heat pump. My furnace intake is upstairs.
  3. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    How long are you getting out of a bag of pellets on setting 3 Gary. My house is all electric and in the winter my electric bills for everything are arounf $200. I think on setting one I get a little over a day on a bag. So i figure $5 a bag x 30 days =$150 to keep just my basement barely warm. It just doesnt seem cost efficient to me, thus is why im not that excited about my stove as others.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Ok that removes that furnace from the equations, but you are still left with the rest.

You have to look at that basement from a heat loss standpoint, to raise the temperature you have to put more BTUs in than leave and the amount of BTUs leaving is a function of the temperature differences all the way around the area to be heated this plus the BTUs that exit the area via air turnover (infiltration).

I probably should reread the manual for your stove to discover what they say is the #1 firing rate.

You should take a look at heat loss calculator for a slab (two sided section your basement is comprised of 6 slabs and infiltration. Each slab will have a different outside temperature depending upon what is on the outside of the slab.

Your ceiling for example will have the first floor temperature as it's outside temperature (this may end up making it a net heat provider for the basement, I can't tell for certain without running the numbers), the walls and floor are likely to be heat losses during the heating season.

http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/HeatLoss/HeatLoss.htm is one that I use (normally a house gets described as a unit but it can be used to do just a single slab and then the slabs get summed to arrive at a total heat loss.
  5. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME

What is your electric rate and what is the seer on your heat pumps and are they ground source units? It may not even pay for you to use anything else at this time.
  6. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    Well, if the settings are stock the unit will feed two pounds per hour on heat range 1 and five pounds per hour on heat range 5. Every pellet is a little different though. The shorter the pellet the more fuel it feed (at least in my opinion). It's kind of easy math after that. In my case, there is no way I could heat my house with #2 oil for double the cost of pellets. As we speak I see the outside temp at 20 and my living room at 72. The furnace is OFF and has been all winter. The only time that it went below that is when I fell asleep and forgot to fill the hopper. As I've said a million times to different people this is a good stove...........but it needs to be tweaked. Mine just didn't run that well out of the box.

I hover around this forum because I like the people here. They are very helpful and not condecending......just a great bunch of guys. Another site to look at though is iburncorn.com This stove, the 6041 is popular in the midwest it seems. With all the grain to burn out there.

There is no way that electric will be cheaper than this stove!!!! http://www.hearth.com/talk/posts/1343551/ I started this thread using information that I learned from this site and iburncorn and a little experimenting on my own.

Let me know how you make out.
  7. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    I cant remember my electric rate and i think my heat pump is 13 seer. I just wanted the stove in case I lost my electric I could run it off a small generator. Also to help my furnace not run non stop on those cold days. Seems like when it gets to around 15* my furnace cant keep up. Probably should get it checked out.
  8. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    Im not sure what your paying for electric gary but there is no way me running this stove on setting 3 is cheaper than running my furnace. My max winter bill for my house and garage is $250! My garage has oil heat but has welder,air compressor,auto lift, fridge and the list goes on. Now if I heated my house with oil I would agree. I also am glad to have found this site there seems to be alot of helpfull people here!!
  9. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    WOW.. I'm jealous!!! I want your garage!!! I think it will cost me between $600.00 and $650.00 this winter for heat. More than likely less than half of oil. My electric bill is $60.00 to $70.00 per month without running the furnace or hot water heater........just lights TV refigerator etc. (I have an on demand water heater) Unless I had ground source geothermal I could not justify using electric. Which is a dream of mine!!!!:) But before that I want a garage with a lift, compressor, welder..................................;lol
  10. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    I guess i just take it for granted. My cost of living is very low with electric and believe me i dont skimp on using it. My heat is always high and my air is alwayls like a ice box at my house in the summer. I couldnt imagine a heating cost of $600 just for oil!! Thanks for all your help so far. This site has been awsome!
  11. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    Are you kidding? I'd be $1200.00 to $1400.00 per year for oil!! I wonder if putting the stove in that awesome garage might be an alternative. Personally I love a wood fire. I'm fantisising here but.......a wood stove in great garage across from the fridge??
  12. frogman

frogman New Member

yes same stove I have a thermostat on mine so its full blast or in low flame my vent pipe is hot but i dont think thats is your issue. try it on heat 3 thats the setting i used when i first got mine. it should keep the room it is in fairly warm.. my room has a pool table so it is fairly good sized i will keep it at 80 and my upstairs will be around 72-77 depending on the outside temp.

make sure your vent slide is open atleast 1 inch leave the stove in auto mode for now just push the mode till the auto light is lite and give that a try and use a socket to tighten the cleanouts on the sides of the burn pot this will help. other than that you should have a warm room.

what pellets you using?
    what does the flame look like when the stove is on?
  13. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    Right now im on setting 2 and my room temp is 68*. It is also only 12* outside right now. My vent is open about an inch and its on auto mode. Im using ligoneer pellets from tractor supply. The flame looks strong and healthy.I really dont think im getting much if any heat upstairs in my house from the stove. I could never shut my furnace off and run the stove only. Another question i have is the stove shut off this morning and threw an error 2 code. I remember it did this last year a few times. The stove ran fine for a 24 plus hours then when i went to bed it shut off throught the night. If you hit the on button it starts up and runs like it should. Drops the pellets fine ignites and runs.
  14. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    And what does your manual say an error code 2 is?

Now about that OAK if your stove has a 85 CFM combustion blower on it and it uses 80% of its capacity (can't say for certain without clamping a tester on it, but I suspect this might be common) as a minimum it is sending 68 CFM up the flue or 4080 cubic feet per hour which is 0.72 air exchanges per hour just for that combustion blower and the heat loss because of not having the OAK at 12::F is 4209 BTU/hr.
  15. frogman

frogman New Member

code 2 is low flame you had a auger jam ran out of pellets long story short the flame when out for some reason
  16. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Also damper open too wide, pressure drop (vacuum cut out, auger no turn as it should) due to gaskets not fully sealed etc ....

Pellet bridges and even a dirty or loose heat sensor or area behind the sensor.
  17. frogman

frogman New Member

with this setting your room fan will run at a lower speed i would put it on 3 and sit and watch it for about 20 min or so without an OAK you may have to open that vent a little more to get the right amount of air.

for me my room the stove is in need to be 80f well the wife wants that.. i use a fan at the bottom of my stairs to blow the hot air up but keep in mind you have to have that room heated before you can send the air some where else. atleast thats my take on it.
    i cant think of anything elase to why you dotnt have the heat but you have it set to low and no OAK I am leaning to the OAK because i did not have one for 2 months and my stove did not preform that well after install it worked much better.

do you have any cold air returns in the room of the stove? i do and i cover them even tho i have an OAK installed the room fan will suck the cold air from it and the stove will have to work harder just a thought.
  18. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    I have no cold air returns in the basement. One of these days I will hook up the oak. Its the liest important on my long list of projects right now!
  19. afreeace

afreeace New Member

i just got a us stove 6041i last night and almost done installing it. any tips?