US Stove 6041 not feeding enough pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

z1robbie

Nov 15, 2013
INDY
i have a stove that on maximum feed only runs the auger motor three seconds on one second off.

I have done the calibration Heat UP- aux up and changed the high setting to 6.5

Three seconds on and one second off doesn't sound like its not running enough. Does your board show HR5 or HR9 for the highest heat range? Are you running it in auto? Also what is the feed rate on HR1? How long have you had the stove and did it run good before?

Is the fire going out? What are your DF (draft settings)?

Reactions: Lake Girl
Three seconds on and one second off doesn't sound like its not running enough. Does your board show HR5 or HR9 for the highest heat range? Are you running it in auto? Also what is the feed rate on HR1? How long have you had the stove and did it run good before?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ihave notowned the stove long.
Bought it to refirbish and resell.
It had a defective circuit board with pressure switch circuit inoperative.

Heatwave electronics repaired it
The original owner tried to jump the circuit board to make it run
6 components were replaced.

HR 5 max stove
On auto, factory default draft setting
I have not changed the draft setting.

The fire will practally go out even with draft slide closed on factory max feed of 5.
And HR above 3.
Rsn OK on 3 but not very hot.

Low feed set to 2 (factory setting and max allowable for safe operation)

US Srove tech on phone said board replacement.

I have a 4 button 6039 HR 9 STOVE tht runs great.
Heated my 900 sq ft house from Nov-Feb in Indy for $500 last year until I got a new furnace.

Waiting on a call from Heatwave to see what he thinks.

When I get time I will post my experiece repairing a Johnstown J2000.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ihave notowned the stove long.
Bought it to refirbish and resell.
It had a defective circuit board with pressure switch circuit inoperative.

Heatwave electronics repaired it
The original owner tried to jump the circuit board to make it run
6 components were replaced.

HR 5 max stove
On auto, factory default draft setting
I have not changed the draft setting.

The fire will practally go out even with draft slide closed on factory max feed of 5.
And HR above 3.
Rsn OK on 3 but not very hot.

Low feed set to 2 (factory setting and max allowable for safe operation)

US Srove tech on phone said board replacement.

I have a 4 button 6039 HR 9 STOVE tht runs great.
Heated my 900 sq ft house from Nov-Feb in Indy for $500 last year until I got a new furnace.

Waiting on a call from Heatwave to see what he thinks.

When I get time I will post my experiece repairing a Johnstown J2000.

If you have the 6039 4 button then the 6041 is actually the same board, they just changed the amount of adjustment from HR9 to HR5 and updated a couple of things on the board itself.

To begin your HR settings are a good start, 2PPH on HR1 and 6.5PPH on HR5. Are you sure you are running it in Auto and not Manual?

Next would be to check the DF settings. If it seems to burn OK on HR3 but goes out on a higher HR then I'm guessing you are either sucking to much air through it or the HR setting is not really changing.

Also do you have a jumper in place on the board where a thermostat would be hooked up? If not the stove will only run on a low HR setting no matter what you change it to on the board.

Pete

Yes the thermo jumper is in place and running on auto with 120 v to exhaust blower auto DF 9 or manual

I changed burn pots since you thought it might be air flow and I could see "air" between pot and stove. It made a huge difference. Will run wide open draft at PR-5 and produces more heat. The burn is not as clean as the 6039 wide open HR-9 MORE OF ORANGE FLAME and no blue at holes in pot like the 6039 with yellow flame.

Comparing feed rates may not help as the 6039 is 4rpm and 1.5 rpm for the 6041.

Augers are different too
1.5 dia X 1 3/8 pitch length
VS.
2 X 2 on the '41.

Remarkably close, even though the differences.

Maybe draft motor not up to stuff

Continued from above.

Draft motor not up to stuff because at full throttle (high draft dialed back to 6) and draft slide allthe way open I get a noticable vibration that goes away at less draft slide opening.

Also changed DF to your recomedation on previous thread 230-280 if I remember correctly.

Will try different draft motor later today.

Looking for the clean burn I can get with the'39 .Igot some Somersets last year and the ash was as white as snow and fine as powder.

Continued from above.

Draft motor not up to stuff because at full throttle (high draft dialed back to 6) and draft slide allthe way open I get a noticable vibration that goes away at less draft slide opening.

Also changed DF to your recomedation on previous thread 230-280 if I remember correctly.

Will try different draft motor later today.

Looking for the clean burn I can get with the'39 .Igot some Somersets last year and the ash was as white as snow and fine as powder.

You are definitely starving for air. Do you have it hooked up to an OAK? Is the 6039 and 6041 both in the same building?

The 230-280 is what I'm using on my stove but I'm burning 100% corn. Before you go trying another exhaust fan you might want to bump those numbers up. Length of exhaust pipe, size and number of 45's and 90's, a lot of variables that could be very different from my set up.

What I did with mine was to get the lowest number HR and DF I could with a decent burn, then adjusted up until every number in between gave a clean burn. It takes time but is well worth it as there will be small adjustments season to season, pellet manufactures and types of pellets but once dialed in those numbers will remain close for a good burn year after year.

You are definitely starving for air. Do you have it hooked up to an OAK? Is the 6039 and 6041 both in the same building?

The 230-280 is what I'm using on my stove but I'm burning 100% corn. Before you go trying another exhaust fan you might want to bump those numbers up. Length of exhaust pipe, size and number of 45's and 90's, a lot of variables that could be very different from my set up.

What I did with mine was to get the lowest number HR and DF I could with a decent burn, then adjusted up until every number in between gave a clean burn. It takes time but is well worth it as there will be small adjustments season to season, pellet manufactures and types of pellets but once dialed in those numbers will remain close for a good burn year after year.

Pete,
No OAK on either.
The 6041 Is on a porch with plenty of air available for combustion . The 6039 is in the 100 year old house with no insulation walls or floor..

I took the exhaust blower off and it was sealed with blue silicone.
I cleaned it up and made a gasket from fel pro for exhaust manifolds. metal with ceramic (fel ramic) coating on both sides, like plastic.

local stove store did not have smaller US Stove combustion blower gasket.

The firepot now has some old window flat gasket to seal it better . I like the '41 pot as it has a higher front and sides but hat may be preventing me from seeing the fire as well it still seems not as yellow as the '39 but it defiantly gets hot so I can sell it.

the stove now runs good at all ranges.

I don't understand, I thought too little air would cause pellets to accumulate in the burn pot so I assumed the feed was not working properly.

US Stove tech must have been misinformed that the feed listed above is wrong and the control board was defective.

I t puts out 250 degrees on 5(high) with factory default settings of 5 hi 2 low for feed. Draft setting is back to default as well.

Also the silicone instead of a gasket also explains vibration. Other forums post say the lysotherm (sp?) is best. Cushions.

Thanks again.
Robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.