US Stove Co. 5 out of 5 stars.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caleb Joens

Nov 12, 2013
Central Iowa
When I first started researching pellet stoves a couple years ago it seems that everyone has their opinion on which stove is the best and I'm sure they all have their merits. However, one theme always seemed to play out in everyone's advice and that is customer service is a very important aspect of making a decision on which stove to buy.

Fancying myself a capable tinkerer I decided to go with a cost effective stove that would pay back it's investment in a reasonable timeframe and would allow multifuel options. After much reading and research I decided on a USSC 6041 and began the journey into alternative fuel.

Shortly after the install I began having issues with fuses failing on the control board. When I first contacted customer service at USSC I realized several things that were quite refreshing.

1) customer service is based in America
2) they offered prompt service
3) they were knowledgeable of their products
4) the service technicians had the authority to resolve your issues without having to escalate it to managers.

After the first call they immediately sent out a new motor, but the issue persisted. Through several conversations they had sent me a new control board and pressure switch. None of these fixed the issue and it was shortly there after they decided to simply swap the stove out. They shipped me a new one which I just installed and it is working beautifully. They are also coordinating the return of the old stove.

The take home message of this story is this; yes, customer service is truly important when purchasing a pellet stove. Also, after participating on this forum for several years it appears that all stoves have there fair share of problems but not all stove companies are based in the US and offer prompt and courteous service like USSC. I can't say enough about my interactions and would confidently recommend their company to anyone.

Reactions: CladMaster
A couple plusses you didn't mention... One, Owen is on the forum and he's head of customer service at USSC and a good natured guy and two, the sweet southern drawl of the gals that answer the phones there is a big plus, like a breath of fresh air.........:):)

I've never had issue one with my 6041 in the last 10 years other than consumable parts such as drives and agitator rods but thats to be expected. Mine started life with the old board and upgraded to the latest 4 buttom firmware, that makes life with the 6041 much easier.

The 39/41 design has been around for a long time so it's a well proven but butt ugly stove.

A couple plusses you didn't mention... One, Owen is on the forum and he's head of customer service at USSC and a good natured guy and two, the sweet southern drawl of the gals that answer the phones there is a big plus, like a breath of fresh air.........:):)

I've never had issue one with my 6041 in the last 10 years other than consumable parts such as drives and agitator rods but thats to be expected. Mine started life with the old board and upgraded to the latest 4 buttom firmware, that makes life with the 6041 much easier.

The 39/41 design has been around for a long time so it's a well proven but butt ugly stove.
Sidecar,

Two excellent points with Owen being available and the ladies on the other side of the phone are pleasant to speak with.

I honestly don't think the stove is ugly, but it is certainly not as nice looking as some of the others out there.

A couple plusses you didn't mention... One, Owen is on the forum and he's head of customer service at USSC and a good natured guy

Thanks for the promotion, but I do not head CS dept. The head of the dept is very pro customer and is always for what is "right" first.

Yeah good CS. Except for the fact that every part on this stove has broken mulitiple times since october till now. Unless they send four or five spares to get me thru a heating season the stove is starting to show its true colors. I knew Iwas buying a budget stove I didnt expect it to be far less than a budget stove. Reminds me of as seen on tv products

Reactions: bobdog2o02
They are very willing to work with you I will admit that. Except some CS reps 2 day ship parts to you no charge and others wont do that for you. Who knows why

LordMetal are you from Hudson Valley NY east of Peekskill or just from the Hudson Valley? reason I ask is I went to HS in Orange Cty

I know what you mean Lordmetal,I waited 3 weeks for a part that never came,called again and then they finally sent it.Quality of stove is about what I paid for but could of found a better one on craigslist as the saying goes wish I would have know then what I now.

Reactions: LordmetalZ28
I must have a good one (or I know how to take care of it) because in 11 years, I've had no issues other than consumable parts. None, nada. Multi fuel appliances are all mechanical and mechanical devices are subject to wear and eventual failure. I guess if you want a non-mechanical stove, better get a Wiseway.

I've replaced a couple drives, some agitator rods, bought a spare burn pot (better to have two so one can soak while one is in use), replaced one board (from my own fault but upgraded to a 4 button), replaced the viewing glass and one backer board. Things do wear out.

Far as adjustability across various fuels, far as I'm concerned you can't beat it, it's extremely adjustable. I can burn cheap high ash pellets or switch to hardwood ones or run corn and pellets or straight corn or cherry pits or pelletized switchgrass (gonna try pelletized DDG) and everything runs just fine.

It's dependable as a rock. It's rocking right now btw.

It typically runs non-stop from late September to April just shutting down for a weekly cleaning and a monthly leaf blower suck job.

All I have to say is. if you are having issues, it must be premeditated.......

You didn't use your manual to light your first fire did you?;lol

Im going to consider buy a diffrent brand stove next year cause I do enjoy having a stove. Sad after the stove is not even 1 year old

Sorry to hear that your having problems.

My stove has been running great, the only thing that bothers me is the burn pot, when it gets hot it warps it all out of shape, twice now I've had to straighten it on the back edge, and the replacement that was sent has started to warp too.

Other than that, I've not had to replace any electrical parts. The stove is burning any brand of pellets (some are ashy) I feed it without any problems, I'm also overkill on cleaning it, every two days it gets a full cleanout.

I call mine a tractor because the thing just chugs away. Keep it clean and fed and it dumps heat. Local TSC has their branded hardwoods again so I cleaned and filled. At 4am today it was 6*F outside and 78*F inside on HR-4. No complaints here.

I know pine bush well. Alien capital. Lol

LOL Yeah I heard that, I was out of HS long before that ever began.
Cup N Saucer crazy stuff. Last I was there they had one traffic light.

Last edited:
Im going to consider buy a diffrent brand stove next year cause I do enjoy having a stove. Sad after the stove is not even 1 year old

PM me when you decide to off it, I'll come up and take it off your hands

You get what you pay for off the rack. US stoves are cheap. Not a shock when they don't work or they break. The fact that they do backflips to keep their customers happy tells you exactly what kind of customer they are after, and what kind of customer you should be in order to buy one.

So, if you want to roll the dice, go cheap, are a fix it yourself person and have the patience to work thru issues...well, you can buy 2 or 3 US stoves before you get to the cost of a high end stove.

Now that I am working on Englander pellet products, I can see the same trend. A little tinny when compared to other stoves, but I call Englander or email Mike and am 110% satisfied with the service.

Remember, these stove makers deal direct with the consumer. So no having to deal with a middle man. Good/bad. You can buy a $6000 Astroflamm or Harman..buy it from an poophead dealer and have a far harder time resolving issues, because many of these "high end" manufacturers do their best to insulate themselves from the end user.

Being that I have experience working on pellet stoves..if I was ever to buy one, I would get an Englander on sale, cheap enough to allow me to afford some common replacement parts and feel like I made a sound purchase.

It sounds like USSC may give that same feeling of confidence to a majority of their buyers.

Reactions: BobMcG
You get what you pay for off the rack. US stoves are cheap. Not a shock when they don't work or they break. The fact that they do backflips to keep their customers happy tells you exactly what kind of customer they are after, and what kind of customer you should be in order to buy one.

So, if you want to roll the dice, go cheap, are a fix it yourself person and have the patience to work thru issues...well, you can buy 2 or 3 US stoves before you get to the cost of a high end stove.

Now that I am working on Englander pellet products, I can see the same trend. A little tinny when compared to other stoves, but I call Englander or email Mike and am 110% satisfied with the service.

Remember, these stove makers deal direct with the consumer. So no having to deal with a middle man. Good/bad. You can buy a $6000 Astroflamm or Harman..buy it from an poophead dealer and have a far harder time resolving issues, because many of these "high end" manufacturers do their best to insulate themselves from the end user.

Being that I have experience working on pellet stoves..if I was ever to buy one, I would get an Englander on sale, cheap enough to allow me to afford some common replacement parts and feel like I made a sound purchase.

It sounds like USSC may give that same feeling of confidence to a majority of their buyers.

Interesting viewpoint.

In as much as my first appliance was an England (and they are cheap as well compared to say a Harman or Quad) and comparing the England 25 PDV to a USSC, in my opinion the USSC 6039-41 (which is a pretty exact copy of a Magnum Countryside) is a better unit in many ways, most notably ash handling and pellet fuel delivery systems.. IOW, I'll take a 39-41 over a 25 PDV England, any day having had both and using both for a number of years, like the last 30 years to be exact.

At 6 for a Harman or Astroflamm, you could buy 4 USSC's not 2. I can do 4 over 2 anyday myself.

Far as USSC's being duds, from reading posts on this site, it sure appears to me that it don't matter what the brand is, or the price of admission, they all seem to crap out, especially when not maintained properly and maintenance appears to be the most prominent factor in failure because none are 'plug and play' and if a buyer thinks they are, they have a rude awakening coming and most likely at the time when they need to heat the most.....

I'll taker my cheap azz USSC 6041 any day. Mine has been reliable for the last 11 years (with proper and timely maontenance (like every unit no matter if it cost 1200 bucks or 6000 bucks requires). With continued care it will be heating my abode for another 10 years at least.

Owen, it's Harman not Harmen.......;lol

Reactions: Owen1508
Additionally, I never have seen USSC sell direct. Far as I know they are sold through Tractor Supply, Northern Tool and I think Lowes. One thing I will say negatively about USSC is their insane prices for replacement consumable parts but it's pretty easy to cross reference 99% of the parts (control boards excluded) through other more reasonably priced suppliers.

Additionally, I never have seen USSC sell direct. Far as I know they are sold through Tractor Supply, Northern Tool and I think Lowes. One thing I will say negatively about USSC is their insane prices for replacement consumable parts but it's pretty easy to cross reference 99% of the parts (control boards excluded) through other more reasonably priced suppliers.
Yyeah the usual suspects HD Lowes COSTCO TSC Northern...etc.

Englander thats laughable. By the tone and seriousness of you comment I thought you where gonna hit me with harman or enviro. Us stove is worlds above englander trust me. Englander like my wife said it best. Your not putting that im poor and I pick fruit stove in our home. Cant argue with the women.

Status
Not open for further replies.