US stove mode1 1537G coal/wood furance problems...anyone else have tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike5823.ny

Nov 23, 2008
northern NY
I recently installed a us stove model 1537G furnace. I am burning chestnut coal. In addition I purchased and installed a draft induction kit for the furnace. I'm having problems getting heat out of the unit. The coal bed is red. I have to leave the draft door open to get any heat out of the unit. Plus I have the draft kit blower on as well. If I close the draft door then my fire doesn't burn. Any ideas?
I have the damper open, I have insulated 6" pipe for the chimney and the chimney extends above our existing chimney. US stove hasn't been much help with regard to the settings on the draft induction kit. I shake the grates twice a day until a few red coals fall into the ash pan. I'm new at using coal. When I use wood the heat output is great. So I must be doing something wrong with the coal. The furnace is rated to heat 2500 sq feet and our home is only 1500 sq feet so the furnace should be plenty to heat the house. I would appreciate any advice.

Burning bituminous coal as recommended in the manual. Blower settings are at 150 degrees and 90 degrees which were listed on the us stove FAQ's information.

I had issues with coal also. I know they wont burn anthracite coal. I have the draft induction kit, and I think it does nothing to help the coal. I would turn the blower off and almost shut the flap on the blower. You want the air under the fire, not over it. By having the blower open a little it will allow some air to come in above for bit coal. I would modify the spin damper with a longer bolt, I get about 5 turns out on my ashpan. That would allow for more air under the fire, and shut the damper on the loading door. Also 150 on is high, even for wood. I would set it for 140 on and maybe even 135 that should allow for more heat to be pushed from the unit. Hope this helps. These furnaces have a poor design for coal. Some people have modified the firebox with firebrick to allow the sides to be almost up and down insead of angled. Good luck.

Mike5823.ny said:
I recently installed a us stove model 1537G furnace. I am burning chestnut coal. In addition I purchased and installed a draft induction kit for the furnace. I'm having problems getting heat out of the unit. The coal bed is red. I have to leave the draft door open to get any heat out of the unit. Plus I have the draft kit blower on as well. If I close the draft door then my fire doesn't burn. Any ideas?
I have the damper open, I have insulated 6" pipe for the chimney and the chimney extends above our existing chimney. US stove hasn't been much help with regard to the settings on the draft induction kit. I shake the grates twice a day until a few red coals fall into the ash pan. I'm new at using coal. When I use wood the heat output is great. So I must be doing something wrong with the coal. The furnace is rated to heat 2500 sq feet and our home is only 1500 sq feet so the furnace should be plenty to heat the house. I would appreciate any advice.

Burning bituminous coal as recommended in the manual. Blower settings are at 150 degrees and 90 degrees which were listed on the us stove FAQ's information.
I have heard that with burning just coal in this unit you can mod. the draft inducer by installing it in the ash pan door and push the air under the coal!

Status
Not open for further replies.