US student loans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dodged a huge college cost bullet. Niece graduated Magna. Got an acceptance letter from Harvard Law. Sister said no way. I said you do not get accepted into Harvard Law and not do it, I would foot the bill. Sister said the kid couldn't handle the rigor of law school and it wasn't gonna happen.

She was right. Now a clerk in a local insurance office and not even handling that well. I would have seen a ton of money go down the toilet.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Depends on the bill.

It all depends on what you want to do. In a technical field like mine, the college grads are worse than the HS kids. Plenty show up here with a degree in something or other, even a related field most of the time. And they know little to nothing. Engineering routinely pumps out "solutions" to try that my High School Janitor could tell you have no chance at suceeding.

Case in point, a young graduate of a tech school was hired to be a "Mechanic's Assistant". He graduated from an automotive technical school and couldn't even tell me how a venturi worked. :confused: There is hope however, I haven't given up on him yet.

Every day hands on experience still trumps 4 years in a classroom from what I see, combine both, and you may have something. ;)

It all depends on what you want to do. In a technical field like mine, the college grads are worse than the HS kids. Plenty show up here with a degree in something or other, even a related field most of the time. And they know little to nothing. Engineering routinely pumps out "solutions" to try that my High School Janitor could tell you have no chance at suceeding.

Case in point, a young graduate of a tech school was hired to be a "Mechanic's Assistant". He graduated from an automotive technical school and couldn't even tell me how a venturi worked. :confused: There is hope however, I haven't given up on him yet.

Every day hands on experience still trumps 4 years in a classroom from what I see, combine both, and you may have something. ;)

Yup. It very much depends on the job- I usually see the opposite here. However, one of the best engineers that I ever met (my first job out of school) didn't have an advanced degree. He would find the most elegant, simple solutions to complex problems. I knew early on that having a piece of paper or not was not necessarily an indicator of your value in the work place.

My buddy claims his daughters tuition is $40,000 per year....Weslyen in Rocky Mount, NC.....dunno how kids do it these days. I worked for Pace University back in the early 80's....free tuition for me, my spouse, and kids if we had any......50% off of books too

Status
Not open for further replies.