usage winter 09-10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slls

Minister of Fire
Jun 9, 2008
central maine Lat 45
1500 square feet, running 70 deg 24-7 used 63 bags and 215 gals #2 oil.
Nothing like a well insulated home, best bang for the buck.

1700 sq feet
250 bags of pellets
40 gallons of oil
lousy insulation

1600 sq ft
236 bags Maine grown pellets
0 gal oil

1200 sq ft, 4 tons, 3 Maine Choice and 1 ton of Pennington
oil only for DHW and the 2 weeks I went to Florida this winter. I filled the oil tank last August, still 1/4 tank left.

How come no room temperatures and whether 24-7 ?

I keep mine set at 80 deg, that way it's around 70 in the rest of the house, 24/7 , except when I go to work I turn the stove down to 70.

2700 sq. ft home, heated approx. 1700 sq. ft @70 °F and 24/7 w/ pellet stove....a little more than 3 tons. Approx 300 gal. oil used for HW, supplemental heat in finished basement, & upstairs outer rooms.

slls said:

I guess I just assumed that since I mentioned that I used no oil, most people could figure out that I kept it as warm as I wanted it, for as many hours a day as I felt like it. Want more info?

200 bags of NEWP, 280 gal #2 oil ,1850 2000Sq ft. farmhouse. insulation?

hossthehermit said:
slls said:

I guess I just assumed that since I mentioned that I used no oil, most people could figure out that I kept it as warm as I wanted it, for as many hours a day as I felt like it. Want more info?

Use no oil sounds like you get pellets free, I bet they cost you though. Right now pellets are more than oil in my area.

slls said:
hossthehermit said:
slls said:

Use no oil sounds like you get pellets free, I bet they cost you though. Right now pellets are more than oil in my area.

Free pellets????? I wish.

780 sq ft ranch style house .... 2.5 tons of pellets used in 2009-10, R-38 in attic and foam (R-21) under the floor and in the crawl space. Building a 3 ton pellet shed to have 2+ years on hand.

Heat approx 2800 sqft (2 floors), well insulated home.
This year burned through 3.5 ton, average indoor temp 75 °F.

1400 sq ft house 3.5 ton. house was avg at 75. Ng for hw and cooking.

1530 sq ft Cape: Lousy Insulation!
175 bags and 400 gal oil for hot water/small amount of heat 2nd floor
72-74 during the day and 66-68 at night

Before pellet stove: 925 gal/yr 68 during the day and 62 at night

09 10 heating season
3 tons pellet pro or 150 bags
1 ton corn
100 gallons of propane for 9 months. Boiler which also heats water, stove, dryer.
24/7 70 degrees

1800 sq ft 100 year old farm house.

I burned 20 bags of Spruce Pointe, wish I could find more of them.

1,800', burned 3 tons (-2 bags) of LG's, and 150 gallons of oil for DHW and finished basement, kept house 72+ most of the time. No t-stat.

1600 sqft cape, heated to 75 downstairs, 70 up. Insulation is spotty at best and you can feel the breeze blow in AROUND the replacement windows on the worst nights.
5.5 ton (thats 275 bags) of pellets and about 150 gallons of oil.

Thats about 75 bags less than 2008-2009 winter but this year was alot warmer and shorter.

mascoma said:
1600 sqft cape, heated to 75 downstairs, 70 up. Insulation is spotty at best and you can feel the breeze blow in AROUND the replacement windows on the worst nights.
5.5 ton (thats 275 bags) of pellets and about 150 gallons of oil.

Thats about 75 bags less than 2008-2009 winter but this year was alot warmer and shorter.

Well, I'm glad you lowered the usage from the previous year, but 5.5 tons in a 1600 Sq Ft cape???? WOW! :ahhh:

And you feel a breeze around REPLACEMENT windows??? That's not good. IMO, it's time to remove the trim, and use some Great Stuff foam for windows:

http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/wd.htm

EDIT:

On looking at your signature, it seems that reducing the amount of Michigans you burned seemed to help. Glad you eliminated them completely for next winter by getting Okies & BareFoots. I'd be interested in what your figures are next year at this time, but I still really think you need to seal the windows (and maybe the doors too?) with the foam.

It's an old house we have been slowly fixing up and sealing up.
Priority before this fall is sealing and insulating basement/crawlspace now the we have addressed the water issues we had there. Hopefully that will solve our COLD FLOOR issues. Then hoping next year to insulate and reside house, sealing windows while that is going on.

Michigans were only pellet I could get garanteed supply of first winter with stove, they are crap.

Even at 7 tons the year's bill stayed under $2000, pretty good considering I used to use 750-1000 gallons of oil the keep the house much cooler.
In 2008 I was staring at the possibility of a $5000 OIL bill for the winter before we got the stove.
We also burn close to 1 ton early fall and late spring that we would not if we did not have babies in the house the last few years. Darn Kids!

2500 sqft 200 bags @ 75 degrees 24/7. Used 300 Gallons of Oil to heat basement and for HW. I'm planning to install solar HW system next winter which should save @ 200 gallons of oil.

119 bags used, 1975 sq ft house, unusually mild winter in eastern Canada. Pellet stove provided all the heat need for the upstairs of the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.