Use flares for out of control and chimney fires!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sublimesting

May 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I wanted to let everyone know a little tip they may not have heard before. A few years ago my parents had a fire get out of control and the chimney caught fire. The fire department was called but before they arrived my Dad had it under control. The firemen said that you should always keep flares available near the fireplace and if it gets out of control or the chimney catches fire light the flares and throw a few in. They suck up all the oxygen and the fire goes out. Hope no one has to test this but it's good to know.

You would be amazed at "little tricks" I have heard over the years....some that are good...and some "not so good".

Yeah, it may work... but try explaining that to the 22 year old insurance adjuster on the phone... "So, Mr. Sublimesting, your chimney was on fire, and you threw a what into the fireplace??? A Flare??? Okay, thank you Mr. Sublime, we'll be denying that claim now, and please say hello to the District Attorney's office when they stop by with the attempted arson charges."

-- Mike

Mike Wilson said:
Yeah, it may work... but try explaining that to the 22 year old insurance adjuster on the phone... "So, Mr. Sublimesting, your chimney was on fire, and you threw a what into the fireplace??? A Flare??? Okay, thank you Mr. Sublime, we'll be denying that claim now, and please say hello to the District Attorney's office when they stop by with the attempted arson charges."

-- Mike

"...Aaggh a (fellow) Pragmatist.." :) Nice to meet ya! Good point...

Glad to hear from a fellow scholar of (Murphy's) Law school... lol :)

I won't even touch on a reply....because I would be (just my luck) the guy it would happen to. :)

"Err Umm...Naagh your scientific evidence is wrong...that wasn't a road flare...it was a CHIMFEX extinguisher...Gotta go consult with Jacoby & Myers (FKA Rubienawitz,Rubienawitz & Rubienawitz)..." lol :)

"YUP...I have tremendous faith in the local fire department...They haven't lost a FOUNDATION HOLE YET..." :)

Well, my Dad put it out with the hose, so you could try that too. But, if my chimney was aflame I'd do it, you aren't going to burn down the house anyworse than it already is. Ya gotta throw it in properly and shut the glass doors. You can't go tossing a flare from across the room like a dainty little girl so that it rolls out and ignites the carpet thus causing you to run around a scream like aforementioned little girl. :)

The old "flare in the fireplace"trick-eh?Smells like an episode of "Mythbusters".

I dont have any flares would roman candles work?

Well it does make sense that the flare would use up the oxygen ...enough of it to put out the fire but the amell of sulfer would be heavey enough that one would think Pres.Bush had just given a speech in your den......just kidding about Pres. Bush
Mike

I keep a fire extinguisher handy. Yep, I had to use it one time. Works fast and really good. Works on the principal of stealing all the oxygen from the fire--oh my gosh, that's where you started with this thread. Unlike flares, extinguishers can be used on fires outside of the box too.

Cheaper and less dangerous is the use of a box of baking soda. Problem is, if you have the blast furnace affect, sometimes called the ram jet. You open the door you feed the fire. I personally would rather shut the air intake and stand back with a 20lb. extinguisher. I use pellet stoves, but each has a 20ABC extinguisher three feet from the stoves. I don't want to hunt.

Well it is hard to find the Chimnefex (sp?) "road flare" style extinguishers any more - I heard the plant that made them BURNED DOWN a few years back. I have one, hope I never get to try it.

Another option I've heard of and have set up, is that we had a "dead" household type extinguisher - never used, but it had lost pressure. I unscrewed the top on it, and poured the powder from it into a quart plastic (yogurt) container - Note, do this OUTSIDE - the powder is very fine, almost like a liquid and you get a huge amount of dust. I stood upwind and used a dust respirator. Put the lid on the container and tape it shut.

If you have a fire, open the door, chuck the container in, and close the door - theory is that the container melts releasing the powder and putting out the fire...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.