1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Use for old hot water radiator's ??

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Mainely Saws, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mainely Saws

Mainely Saws Member

Loc:
    Topsham , Me.
    I ve got a number of old hot water radiator's of various sizes & was looking for a way to put them to good use . I heat with wood & gas forced hot air but I was wondering if they might be used in a batch solar water heater . They are heavy so that's kind of a drawback , any ideas ?????

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    OOohhh....You oughta skip right over to the boiler section of this forum and post this. Those hot water guys will start to drool. Many put those back into use in water boiler setups.

Mater of fact - if you can get ahold of a mod - that may be the better place to post this (depending on your intentions).

Now if your just looking to make use of them in some other way - I got nothin'
  3. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    i have seen mounds of them at the scrap yard.
  4. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Principality of Pontinha
    Depends on how pretty they are. If they're square and plain jane it's not so great, but if they're embossed and have intricate scroll work they can be pretty valuable. As far as heat storage goes, steel and cast iron have about the same specific heat capacity, which is about 15% of H20. Its the water that holds the heat, not the metal.
  5. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I still use these in homes i remofel but try to find a way to hide the bulk in aninterior wall or under the floor. THe are hard to beat as they stay warm long after the finned baseboard has cooled down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.