Use fryer oil for bar oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pook said:
wonder if its high in cholesterol, sticks to arteries.

...a common misconception, but veggies don't contain cholesterol so oil made from them doesn't either.

However if you're speaking of petro bar oil, I wouldn't worry about dying from the cholesterol!

Ozarkjeep, Looks like good ol' Wallyworld canola. Sounds good in theory, and probably cheaper than b&c;oil. I like the idea of not slinging petroleum all over while cutting. My only fear is the aroma might make me prematurely hungry while cutting:)

haha!

It actually has almost no odor whatsoever.

and I think it is right around the same price as the cheap green jug of poulan bar oil I was using.

more of a clean thing, than a cost thing to me.

bjorn773 said:
Ozarkjeep, Looks like good ol' Wallyworld canola. Sounds good in theory, and probably cheaper than b&c;oil. I like the idea of not slinging petroleum all over while cutting. My only fear is the aroma might make me prematurely hungry while cutting:)

Pook said:
i thought bar oil had additives in it to help it stick to the bar longer.

Yea, and this is why your saw will stay much cleaner by not using bar oil.

I turned up the oilers on my saws when I switched to veg oil, just in case.

I had various containers of vegetable oil sitting in the cold: corn, enova, olive, and grapeseed, and the grapeseed oil was the only one that stayed completely fluid in the coldest temperatures. Don't know how it compares to canola but it's something to think about if you're doing a lot of cold weather cutting. I've been thinking about trying it in my saw as I do a lot of cutting near a stream and hate the sheen of oil on the water left by the saw.

I was asking about this a while back as I have about 15-20 gallons of used oil left from my occasional turkey frying... Mostly it's peanut oil, with probably a fair bit of turkey juice mixed in, and it does turn pretty solid at low temperatures.

I'd like to get rid of it, but the trash guys don't want to take it as they say it will leak out of the trucks, and it's not haz-mat so I can't get rid of it like used motor-oil. I don't need bio-diesel, as nothing I own runs on that, and from all I've read on Bio-Diesel, I don't want to be anywhere near it being made, seems like it makes more haz-mat and is more dangerous than the dino-fuel it's replacing.

At the time, I got similar mixed reviews on whether it would work as B&C;oil or not, but did have one point raised that was interesting which I haven't seen mentioned as a reason not to recycle USED oil - Namely that used oil might have other nasties growing in it, and what (if anything) they might do to further complicate the damage in the event that you have a "stupidity moment" and try cutting body parts instead of tree parts... Considering that the woods aren't the world's most sterile place to begin with, I don't know if I buy that or not, but it might be worth considering....

Gooserider

I asked our parts guy at work who knows just about everything (it's scary) and he said tree people do it all the time, especially in areas that require biodegradable bar oils. It beats paying $25-30 per gallon for the stuff from Stihl or Husky. Not sure about the used stuff though..

Gooserider said:
I was asking about this a while back as I have about 15-20 gallons of used oil left from my occasional turkey frying... Mostly it's peanut oil, with probably a fair bit of turkey juice mixed in, and it does turn pretty solid at low temperatures.

I'd like to get rid of it, but the trash guys don't want to take it as they say it will leak out of the trucks, and it's not haz-mat so I can't get rid of it like used motor-oil.

Gooserider

Mix it with sawdust and woodchips and make your own "eco log" or firestarters. :cheese: I've done that with small quantities of used cooking oil, sprinkle some woodchips into a piece of newspaper, drizzle so oil on it, and roll it into a "joint". :coolsmile:

JRP3 said:
Gooserider said:

I'd like to get rid of it, but the trash guys don't want to take it as they say it will leak out of the trucks, and it's not haz-mat so I can't get rid of it like used motor-oil.

Gooserider

Mix it with sawdust and woodchips and make your own "eco log" or firestarters. :cheese: I've done that with small quantities of used cooking oil, sprinkle some woodchips into a piece of newspaper, drizzle so oil on it, and roll it into a "joint". :coolsmile:

Not a bad idea, except that I will only be starting the stove a few times... So far this burn season, I've started a fire in it 3 times, maybe 4... We run 24/7 except when we are both out of the house for an extended period. It has to be a considerable period to let the stove go out - This AM we had a thing to go to, and I stuffed the stove w/ largish splits on top of a good coal bed just before leaving the house at 8:00 AM, kicked in the cat and turned the thermostat to minimum... When we got home at about 11:00 PM (or about 13 hours burn time) The stove was still over 300*F on the griddle top, and had a significant bed of coals - enough to easily restart by just throwing more splits on and cranking the air to max for a few minutes...

In some ways the economy of the VC Encore Cat is almost annoying... :) I have a bucket of "splitter trash" that I use for fire lighting - used to go through a lot of it with the old smoke dragon, I've got three big garbage cans full of it saved, have barely put a dent in the first can. I've also hardly put a dent in the wood shed bay I have filled with about 1/4 cord of kindling sized sticks (~1.5" and smaller) I have a few trees that I have my eye on to drop next spring, not to mention the trash making next years splits will give me, and I'm not going to have a place to put the kindling stuff. No real complaints about the splits consumption though, I'm just about to finish the 3rd stack in my woodshed with the next load I bring inside, at ~0.6 cords per stack, that will put me at 1.8 cords for the season so far. (We started burning about the first of November)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.