Use of foil tape on L vent ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
I see that at least one stove maker recommends foil tape on all pellet vent pipe joints but I also know that it isn`t actually code approved to seal flue gases and smoke . I understand that eventually it could bake off. I also read that the adhesive gives off a sickening smell.
I did tape mine basically to cover the black Hi temp silicone joint sealer . That said , I do see a lot of it used on gas vent piping.(B vent?)
I`d sure like to hear opinions based on experience or technical knowledge (or both).
Thanks,
John

Just get a tube of ORANGE hi temp RTV from Auto Zone or Advance or some other car place. I just put a smear on my male pipe section when it goes together and that will take care of any little leakage you will encounter. If you can't get at it to get it apart you can just smear it around the joint with your finger and it should do the trick nearly as well. Keep it simple.............................................

flueinc said:
with excel pellet pipe you do not get leaks you do not need tape or silicon to stop leaks.

Probably true enough but for one big thing. Why buy new pipe when you already have it. No offense but thats a government style solution, spend $300 to do the same job you can do with about $1.00 worth of silicon that is unfortunately red in color. If you want to bother you can hide that too by smearing it on the male section and twisting it together then wiping the visible portion off like you were glueing a plactic pipe. That and / or a tad of silver high temp paint from the local car parts place.
Ah 300 -400 vs. 3 bucks what to do. Its your money. I watch the stupid government I work for do this sort of foolishness all the time and its purely pitiful. Personally I always go with the "keep it simple stupid " approach. For some reason its always the best solution to already simple problems.

You dont' even have to get orange rtv. Stove shops will have black. It's 550 not 650 like the orange but on pellet vent that won't matter. The foil tape will probably work too. I always hated how it looked and in addition your stuck painting it inside.

If the foil tape gets hot enough, the adhesive does have a rather terrible smell. I'd avoid using it in all but emergency repair situations, as it will let go over time anyway.

i have simpson pipe type L connecting my pellet stove to my 6"flue , i didnt caulk the joints , just the coupler at the stove, the bottom of the tee cap (not where it untwists but the actual bottom) and at the thimble with black 550F silicone , i have no leaks whatsoever.

as a sidebar, if you do caulk your pipe joints and cannot get them apart to clean them , get 2 "strap type" oil filter wrenches , does wonders getting tough pipe connections untwisted.

The one place I was getting a tad of smoke from mine and I do mean just a tad was the back of the stove. Right where the first section of pipe slides straight into the pipe projecting out the back. I just took that section of pipe and the other small one that disappears into the wall thimbal and put a small smear of orange RTV on there and twisted them together. It doesn't take much to do the deed just like on a car. The way that Simpson duravent goes together it pretty much makes its own seal. The stuff is well built to say the least. My stove probably started leaking from getting bumped around over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.