Use Pig Mats as floor or raised hearth protection when cleaning doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2012
Eastern Tennessee
I've been looking for a way to keep my raised hearth clean(er) from dirty, drippy fireplace door class cleaner liquid. My husband suggested I put down Pig Mat when cleaning the doors. I did and it works great!

Pig Mat is used by mechanics underneath cars to absorb dripping oil. The stuff we have comes in a roll that is sectioned for easy tear-off. It has a flame retardant surface so it's not easily burnable.

Charlene

I clean our door glass with a dampened paper towel or newspaper dipped in ash. No dripping liquid here.

The dripping liquid may cause you other issues down the road off topic right now.

I clean our door glass with a dampened paper towel or newspaper dipped in ash. No dripping liquid here.
Yeah, that actually works. And it won't scratch. I use a microfiber cloth that works really well. If you use a spray, spray the cloth, not the glass. No drip.;)

We too use newspaper dipped in ash. Not wet newspaper, just dampened a bit. And you only need to barely touch the ash. If there are a couple places that need touched up when you are about done, a damp paper towel (no ash) works nicely too.

Nice of the OP to jump in with a tip to share. Pig mats have a thousand great uses. However, having said that, the ash trick mentioned by begreen is of the best tips I got from this forum. I use this trick exclusively and it works like a champ every time. 2 minutes, no effort, and all 3 panes in the 2200 sparkle like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.