Charlene Kravec Posted By Charlene Kravec, Nov 12, 2012 at 6:21 PM

1. Charlene Kravec

Charlene Kravec
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Eastern Tennessee
    I've been looking for a way to keep my raised hearth clean(er) from dirty, drippy fireplace door class cleaner liquid. My husband suggested I put down Pig Mat when cleaning the doors. I did and it works great!

Pig Mat is used by mechanics underneath cars to absorb dripping oil. The stuff we have comes in a roll that is sectioned for easy tear-off. It has a flame retardant surface so it's not easily burnable.

Charlene

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I clean our door glass with a dampened paper towel or newspaper dipped in ash. No dripping liquid here.

Beer Belly and BrowningBAR like this.
  3. corey21

corey21
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 28, 2010
    Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    The dripping liquid may cause you other issues down the road off topic right now.

4. Sprinter

Sprinter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 1, 2012
    Loc:
    SW Washington
    Yeah, that actually works. And it won't scratch. I use a microfiber cloth that works really well. If you use a spray, spray the cloth, not the glass. No drip.;)

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2007
    Loc:
    Michigan
    We too use newspaper dipped in ash. Not wet newspaper, just dampened a bit. And you only need to barely touch the ash. If there are a couple places that need touched up when you are about done, a damp paper towel (no ash) works nicely too.

6. bag of hammers

bag of hammers
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 7, 2010
    Loc:
    Northern ON
    Nice of the OP to jump in with a tip to share. Pig mats have a thousand great uses. However, having said that, the ash trick mentioned by begreen is of the best tips I got from this forum. I use this trick exclusively and it works like a champ every time. 2 minutes, no effort, and all 3 panes in the 2200 sparkle like new.