use scews or not on pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Hearth Supporter
Sep 3, 2008
ny
anyone who has Duratech 6 inch woodstove pipe... do you screw this tee on with shheet metal screws or is twistlock enough..??

DuraTech All-Fuel Stainless Steel Chimney Tee with Cover - 6-Inch Inner Diameter
#CPF-70630

I always use 3 screws per joint on all class A chimney and stove pipe.

I was told to avoid using screws in single wall pipe if possible...less chance of smoke escaping. I've never heard of that before.

Using screws is a safety issue.
If you ever experience a chimney fire, the vibrations caused by the intensity
in the connector pipe or Class A, can cause the sections to shake apart.
The screws will prevent this from happening, potentially keeping a dangerous situation
from becoming a deadly one, by preventing the fire from spreading to the rest of the house...
USE em.

Minimum of three screws for every connection . . . as mentioned it's a safety issue.

Skier76 said:
I was told to avoid using screws in single wall pipe if possible...less chance of smoke escaping. I've never heard of that before.

I think you would find that even if you drilled three holes for the screws, but didn't put the screws into the holes that you would not have any smoke leakage if the draft is good and working correctly. That said, I personally would make sure the holes were "sealed" with the screws . . . and again my own feeling is that there is a greater chance of the stove pipe coming apart (not that it is a high likelihood, but I err on the side of caution) than there would be of smoke leakage from screwed pipes . . . and if the stove pipes were to come apart, trust me, there would he a heckuva lot more smoke in your house than you would ever get from three tiny screw holes. ;) :)

On the interior connector pipe between the stove and ceiling I have a single piece of telescoping double wall Simpson pipe. It's dura -sumthin.

The only screws in it are to hold the slip section extended. No screws at the ceiling or at the stove. Gave me the creeps so I asked the pro installer, "that's how it's done". I had the job inspected by the AHJ who was quite picky and asked him the same question, "that's how it's done". No need to screw to the stove or to the ceiling support box.

I did have them add screws at the single joint between the two sections of class A pipe in the attic. They said it wasn't required but that they could do that for me.

Oh, and I didn't screw the chimney cap on either.

Screw clearance holes are stamped into the bottom skirt of DuraVent DVL (bouble-wall connector) pipe and a set of 3 black screws is provided with each length and fitting to my knowledge. After one good puffback, the first thing I thought of was thank goodness for those screws. However, for the class A pipe, Simpson says they are optional for 6-8" sizes.:

7. Assemble Chimney Sections:
Lower the female end of the first
Chimney Section in the Support
Box (Fig 9). It will twist-lock
clockwise onto the male end of the
Support Box. Turn Pipe Sections
firmly clockwise to lock them together.
Sheet metal screws are not
required, but they may be used to
reinforce the connection, if desired.
Use only 1/2" (or shorter) sheet
metal screws. Do not penetrate the
inner liner of the chimney.

firefighterjake said:
Minimum of three screws for every connection . . . as mentioned it's a safety issue.
Definitely a safety issue. Last year my neighbor awoke to a room full of smoke. The chimney had fallen off the connector, no screws, no smoke alarm. He was lucky to wake up and not take the long sleep. Screws, fire and CO detectors are all part of safe wood burning. Be safe.
Ed

Yep. If you ever hear a "puffback" explosion, I have had it happen with stove pipe and liner flues, you sit back and say "Damn! Glad I had those screws in there.".

ROFLMAO said:
Call Duravent and find out for sure. Even if they are okay with screws, they probably have certain type/lengths they specify.

Tis right there in their instruction manual for Dura Tech:

"Turn Pipe Sections
firmly clockwise to lock them together.
Sheet metal screws are not
required, but they may be used to
reinforce the connection, if desired.
Use only 1/2" (or shorter) sheet
metal screws. Do not penetrate the
inner liner of the chimney."

Status
Not open for further replies.