Used 026 vs Used 260

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, scratch that off my list (390). Time to go make dinner, Happy Turkey day to you all!

Reactions: DexterDay
Stick to the 036, 360, 361, 362 or if your stable has room for a Husq, then take a look into the 562XP. My BIL has one, and its a very strong runner.

If you wanna run an 036, your more than welcome to come out. Or maybe I can make it out your way :)

I have Dec 14, 15, and 16 off for the Late Gun Season.. May be able to make it out then :) (unless you get'em all ;))

Stick to the 036, 360, 361, 362 or if your stable has room for a Husq, then take a look into the 562XP. My BIL has one, and its a very strong runner.

If you wanna run an 036, your more than welcome to come out. Or maybe I can make it out your way :)

I have Dec 14, 15, and 16 off for the Late Gun Season.. May be able to make it out then :) (unless you get'em all ;))

Hope you had a "Happy" day at the inlaws Dexter. Yes, lets plan on getting together one way or the other. Hopefully, I won't need to still be hunting by that weekend ...... I have all next week to get the job done. However, things look pretty scarce around here, little sign of activity. Only one scrape, few tracks, and tossed apples (which usually disappeared overnight last year) are still there on the 3rd day today :( ! Not looking good. We did see two bucks a week ago too far for a shot....... thats been it. I just might still be out there by the 14th, 15th, 16th.

Been ordering parts to change out that "Toolless Chain Adjuster" on my 250, a real pain in the ass to keep clean and freely working. Going to go back to the simple regular setup on that and sell the "Toolless" gizmo on ebay. My 7mm mag barrel has a bid too, so that will sell. I'd take you up on your offer to run your 036 but I'd really hate to dirty up your "purdy" machine. I've got a good idea how it will run, I'm set on getting a 360/361 saw, will probably sell my 191T and maybe even the 031AV now that its running good. Between the two of them is close to enough cash for a 360/361. Was talking with StihlHead too about changing that 026 over to 3/8. Been busy while the turkeys digesting. Catch you later.

Yeah.. Wish I could make it out next week, but the 1st time ever, I wont be able to go opening week.

I only have the 15th and 16th.

The 036 gets used the most now that I got rid of my 455 Rancher (saw I BEAT on!!!)

I bought it used from my buddy at work. He hardly ever used it. He has an 029 Super thats older an in better condition than the 036.

Depending on your schedule, that weekend would work for me.

We got home a little bit ago. Good food, Good times, and Good beer :) (Wife drove home).

Was talking with StihlHead too about changing that 026 over to 3/8. Been busy while the turkeys digesting. Catch you later.

Boog, fwiw I changed mine over to 3/8 .050 chain so I had standard chain on all but the 192t. 026 runs the 3/8 fine with 16" or 18" bar & cuts fast. Easy change over, maybe 5 min if you take your time. A C

Boog, fwiw I changed mine over to 3/8 .050 chain so I had standard chain on all but the 192t. 026 runs the 3/8 fine with 16" or 18" bar & cuts fast. Easy change over, maybe 5 min if you take your time. A C

I could not find a Stihl 3/8 - 7 rim available on ebay for the 026, just 3/8 picco and the regular .325. They had spur sprockets in 3/8 -7, but not rim. They did have an Oregon rim available though. Did you get one from Stihl for yours? Also, can I use my current .325 bar or will that need to be changed too? Can't find any info on that painted bar, but the chain is definitely .325 stihl, "appears to be" same profile as on my new 250. I'm assuming it is .050, doubt they would have had the narrower stuff on that 026. Guess I'll have to dig out my caliper and check it for sure, or just try my 250 chain on the 026 bar. The 250 has a .063 bar, I'm assuming that means .050 chain?

Nope, .063 & .050 are diff gauge. Bar rail groove & chain are diff widths. As far as the 3/8 pitch, I went to my local dealer, got the rim & a new bar because the saw needed one anyway. Should be no problem getting a 7 pin 3/8 rim sprocket to fit that clutch. 60 drivers on the 16" chain loop I think. A C

There's the secret, right there. ;)

Hopefully your dealer is as good as AC's. :cool:

Yeah I hear you MasterMech. I used to go to my dealer all the time for help until I started rebuilding that 191T and 031AV. Then I discovered the difference between the cost for a few OEM Stihl parts I got from him (them actually, 2 dealers close by), and the same ones via a few sellers on ebay. Not aftermarket stuff, genuine stihl stuff in sealed stihl wrappers. The price difference on some items is significant. That led me down the path of looking for parts there on ebay, and using the profound experience of guys like you to try it on my own without the dealer. Between you, StihlHead, and AC, I think I finally have all the issues with sprockets, chains and bars figured out. I got thrown off on this 026 saw because it had .325 chain on it with an unmarked painted over bar. I was expecting 3/8 on it. Searching the archives also helped a lot two, because you guys have been educating new-bees like me on this over and over. I've only been here a month or so, and already I see the same basic questions coming up over and over!.

I think we can wrap up this thread as follows. Both my 250 and 026 saws have .325 on them, spur on the 250, rim on the 026. What I am going to do after input from the 3 of you, is move my 250 to 3/8 picco (probably rim), and move my 026 to 3/8, with all the corresponding rim, chain, and bar changes. The good leftover .325 parts I have I'll just move for whatever on ebay (or keep to go with another .325 - 250 saw I just scored on another old ammo trade...... I'm figuring to cash that one out and sell it)! Might even have a Huskie 345 arriving soon too! Orange is quickly becoming a dominant color in my garage...... good thing I'm a Browns fan:confused:. Thanks again everyone for your help with my continuing education!

Status
Not open for further replies.