Used 2004 Harman p68 - buy or walk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbcynya

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2006
W Michigan
Looking at a used 2004 P68 from a private owner that bought it used from a dealer...

What should I look out for?
Any inherent problems?
What are some ballpark prices for major components (auger motor, control board, etc.) if replacement is necessary???

Seems to be in reasonable shape, so what's a fair price?

Thanks for your help!

PS - this would be my first adventure into pellets...

p68 is a good stove. igniter 110.00 motors about 100.00each control board 190.00 parts are reasonable and readily available. check for brown staining in the bottom of the pellet hopper and or smoke smell in hopper. if this is the case it needs a feeder update which is expensive but harman will pay for it. bring it up to the dealer before buying from the individual.

Thanks for the info! I can probably pick up this stove for $1200-1400 and the major components don't seem to be so costly, so we'll see if my wife can get over the "looks" vs. an XXV...

that is a great deal. if stove is still hooked up start it and make sure it works. if it is not hooked up, before loading it on truck plug it in outside and put in test mode. auger, room fan, and combustion fan will come on. this will let you know if motors and board are working.

rickwa said:
that is a great deal. if stove is still hooked up start it and make sure it works. if it is not hooked up, before loading it on truck plug it in outside and put in test mode. auger, room fan, and combustion fan will come on. this will let you know if motors and board are working.

The igniter will also come on in test mode & you
should be able to feel some heat near the burnpot.
Make sure the burnpot & the holes in it are clean.
Loosen the thumbscrews under the burnpot &
drop the plate to see if the igniter cavity is clean.
Pull the ashpan out & remove the combustion blower cover.
You'll see the fan blades & what condition they're in
can give you an idea of the maintenance performed
Take a look in the exhaust - with a flashlight -
to see what the inside of the vent & the ESP look like.
Pull the rear shrouds & see how much dust is back there.
If this thing has been well maintained, you'know as
soon as you look inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.