Used 359 Husky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Just took a Husky 359 off ebay. Supposed to run very well, and be in good condition. Going to cost me 300 with shipping. Anything unique abot the 359 I should be aware of? I plan to order a new 24" bar and chain as soon as I verify the saw is ok. The primary reason I needed this saw is to deal with larger trunks that I have been running into lately.

359 is a great firewood saw IMO. Should be a nice step up from the Wild Thing. Mine rips pretty good with a 20" bar. You might consider skiptooth chain with the 24" bar. Probably would do OK with regular chain, but skip would be easier on the saw. Make sure to turn the oiler up full for the 24". Check the muffler to see if has a catalytic converter. If so, be aware that it does rob significant power that you can reclaim with an afermarket muffler and/or muffler mod. Great care advised for safely modding the catalytic muffler. Avoid cutting or grinding the catalyst material so you don't make toxic dust. Others could advise you better on that.
Owners manual available here: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landowner/support/download-manuals/?query=359&types=O

Is the 359 a better saw then the 460?

Yes, it is nearly identical to the 357xp in construction, so although Husky doesn't market it as a pro saw, it is built like a pro saw. IMO the 359 is one of the best firewood saws out there if your wood averages a little on the bigger side.

In particular, the 359 has less plastic, a quick-release cover, more power, and weighs less. Mine doesn't have a problem pulling a sharp 24" of full-comp chisel through oak. (Whereas the 455, slightly smaller sibling to the 460, really needs skip chain at that length).

Status
Not open for further replies.