Used 361

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! Great saw. You can go through pretty much anything with that 20" bar.

The decomp is a push to activate. Once it fires (even a single "pop"), it will reset. I suggest using it. It reduces the strain on the starting mechanism and you.

Sounds like you got a heck of a buy there.

Jags said:
The decomp is a push to activate. Once it fires (even a single "pop"), it will reset. I suggest using it. It reduces the strain on the starting mechanism and you.

Sounds like you got a heck of a buy there.
+1 it helps.

Push in decomp, switch to full choke, pull three times (until you hear a 'pop'). Switch up one notch, and one pull.

S

thinkxingu said:
Push in decomp, switch to full choke, pull three times (until you hear a 'pop'). Switch up one notch, and one pull.

S

My problem on a 361 is I cant hear the darn Pop....If you don't hear it Your Screwed! lol very flooded after the fact!

OK...starting routine nailed. Decomp in...full choke...one pull. Decomp in again...half choke...fires up. Thanks for the input.

I just went out and cut up some more oak. Wow. This thing is unbelievable. I noodled one big round just to see what it was like after bucking some logs. Wow.

I was planning on getting a new chisel chain for it but after that excursion I'm going to wait until it doesn't feel fast anymore (or until the chain is shot...whichever comes first)...but it sure does feel like a rocket ship now.

Did I say wow? Because...well...wow!

lukem said:
OK...starting routine nailed. Decomp in...full choke...one pull. Decomp in again...half choke...fires up. Thanks for the input.

I just went out and cut up some more oak. Wow. This thing is unbelievable. I noodled one big round just to see what it was like after bucking some logs. Wow.

I was planning on getting a new chisel chain for it but after that excursion I'm going to wait until it doesn't feel fast anymore (or until the chain is shot...whichever comes first)...but it sure does feel like a rocket ship now.

You think "Wow" now - wait till you strap a full chisel on that bad boy. Get yourself familiar with chain files/sharpening chains, and use it often. A dull chain will turn ANY saw into an anemic, irritating piece of junk.

lukem said:

Welcome to the addiction! You will chase that high the rest of your life....j/k

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

You're not kidding...

Enjoy the new saw!

FireAnt said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

You're not kidding...

Enjoy the new saw!

To get that high again he may need to go over 90cc's or another 1000.00 lol

smokinjay said:
FireAnt said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

You're not kidding...

Enjoy the new saw!

LOL... Guess that's the reason for my 460... Oh no what's next......

FireAnt said:
smokinjay said:
FireAnt said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

You're not kidding...

Enjoy the new saw!

LOL... Guess that's the reason for my 460... Oh no what's next......

880! Not that I have an issue..

I wanted to follow-up on my original post. Buying this saw was one of the best purchases I ever made and wanted to thank everyone for their input / talking me into it. Last weekend I had a large job and this saw made it really easy.

I started out with a semi-chisel full skip Stihl chain (is what came on the saw when I bought it used). It cut well and the saw pulled like a champ.

I took Jags' advice and bought a new chain for it...After a few rounds I put on a brand new full-chisel full-comp 20" chain. To my surprise the saw pulled about the same, but ATE the wood....I was making 24" logs look like child's play. It also noodled really well. There were about 20 or so rounds too big to lift and I worked them up into managable size pieces quickly and easily.

The biggest surprise for me (and I'm not making this up) is that I was able to cut 4 cord of red oak and sharpen only ONCE (and you can blame that on me for letting the bar get into some dirt). I'm still throwing large chunks of sawdust and could probably cut another couple cord before another sharpening. These Stihl chains really hold their edge well.

By the time the job was done I burned about 1.5 gallons of fuel, got it done in a weekend, and only had to sharpen once. I'm really glad I listened to you guys. Thanks for the great advice.

lukem said:
I'm really glad I listened to you guys. Thanks for the great advice.

Sounds great. Let me give you one more piece of advice that I think will work well for you. Always sharpen the chain before it is dull. If you are sharpening a dull chain, you waited to long. It took me quite a few chains to get that drilled into my head. Hopefully I can save you the headache.

Jags said:
lukem said:
I'm really glad I listened to you guys. Thanks for the great advice.

Sounds great. Let me give you one more piece of advice that I think will work well for you. Always sharpen the chain before it is dull. If you are sharpening a dull chain, you waited to long. It took me quite a few chains to get that drilled into my head. Hopefully I can save you the headache.

I would have to say protect your crotch at all cost, cant stress that enough!

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=700175+CRB+SM&catID=9918

And still no pictures!!! C'mon already!!!

Danno77 said:
And still no pictures!!! C'mon already!!!

Hes says that his 361 in the pick, but I am starting to think that might be the new toy 460...lol ;-)

One big tree!

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 146
smokinjay said:
One big tree!

Did ya ever get a report on what that monster taped out to be on the trunk?

hats off to you for grabbing that deal... wish I could run into that deal.

You get better at babying your chain too.

sharpening before you need to... good rule, especially important on my cheap saws.

60ish by 16'

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
One big tree!

""""60ish by 16’ """" LOL :lol: I think that might be about 48 man hours of hard milling!

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
One big tree!

""""60ish by 16’ """" LOL :lol: I think that might be about 48 man hours of hard milling!

Holy hanna - its gonna take two men and a big yeller dog to move a slice of that stuff.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
One big tree!

Holy hanna - its gonna take two men and a big yeller dog to move a slice of that stuff.

Seems they want to keep it....... lol I was figuring on two guys running the saw and another grinding chains for two days to get that done.....Sure would take everything I have and a little luck to get it milled! :cheese:

smokinjay said:
Seems they want to keep it.......

Too bad for you, but at least if there is interest in it for lumber it will (should) go to a good home and not be burned up in a pile of brush.

Jags said:
ss="spellchecked_word">smokinjay</SPAN> said:
Seems they want to keep it.......

Too bad for you, but at least if there is interest in it for lumber it will (should) go to a good home and not be burned up in a pile of brush.

Yea I hate that be 16 bad @ss tables in that big bad boy! Conference tables at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.